Some up close and personal pics!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Some up close and personal pics!

Post by Nellyville41 »

My work tank has about 10 larvae developing into little juveniles. Here’s an upclose of one.
Attachments
A1407F49-0B17-493E-BAE7-FF81D1E06C0B.jpeg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats! Looks like your shrimp won't stop reproducing. :)
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Mustafa wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:07 pm Congrats! Looks like your shrimp won't stop reproducing. :)
It seems to me the snails won’t stop reproducing at home! Lol. I’m pretty sure I have around 25 snails from the initial 10. A lot of the babies have grown to a noticeable size and there’s quite a few new babies now. My question is there such thing as too many snails? Will they overtake the population? The tank at my work only has 3 active snails with no reproduction. Should I transfer some of the adults from home to the one at work?
Attachments
4DE4EA6E-C03A-44F3-9D3B-34FCA9F53C64.jpeg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

The snails will reproduce in accordance with the available resources in the tank. The shrimp tend to out compete them for food so the population should plateau at some point.
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

My snails are reproducing like crazy as well! I'm starting to get worried b/c I only have a half gallon tank and the 5 I put in it are at least 25 in less than 1 year :( That being said, my shrimp are reproducing a bunch lately too, so I guess I just had a bunch of great algae in the half gallon tank??
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

You've posted some great pics!!
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Mf1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:19 pm My snails are reproducing like crazy as well! I'm starting to get worried b/c I only have a half gallon tank and the 5 I put in it are at least 25 in less than 1 year :( That being said, my shrimp are reproducing a bunch lately too, so I guess I just had a bunch of great algae in the half gallon tank??
Yup. You got a great setup going on. My tank at home produced even more baby snails and another shrimp is pregnant. Lol.
Dylan
Larva
Larva

Post by Dylan »

Do you manual focus for these up-close shots thru a magnifying glass?
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Post by JasonG3333 »

Nice tank and photos!
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Dylan wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:47 am Do you manual focus for these up-close shots thru a magnifying glass?
Yes. I have a magnifying glass and a jewelry magnifier.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nellyville41 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 pm
It seems to me the snails won’t stop reproducing at home! Lol. I’m pretty sure I have around 25 snails from the initial 10. The tank at my work only has 3 active snails with no reproduction. Should I transfer some of the adults from home to the one at work?
You probably have *a lot* more snails in both tanks than what you see crawling around. As substrate burrowing snails the largest part of the population is always in the substrate. But no worries....the snails self-regulate and there won't ever a problem with too many snails unless you're overfeeding on a regular basis...but then overfeeding will cause tons of other problems before snail overcrowding ever even remotely becomes an issue.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Mustafa wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:27 pm
Nellyville41 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 pm
It seems to me the snails won’t stop reproducing at home! Lol. I’m pretty sure I have around 25 snails from the initial 10. The tank at my work only has 3 active snails with no reproduction. Should I transfer some of the adults from home to the one at work?
You probably have *a lot* more snails in both tanks than what you see crawling around. As substrate burrowing snails the largest part of the population is always in the substrate. But no worries....the snails self-regulate and there won't ever a problem with too many snails unless you're overfeeding on a regular basis...but then overfeeding will cause tons of other problems before snail overcrowding ever even remotely becomes an issue.
Thanks for the info on that! Yeah the one at work is more active than before. They’re coming out and grazing along the walls. No babies yet for them. The one at home is still multiplying like crazy. I haven’t fed either tank in a while too.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Here’s the latest mama slowly releasing her babies
Attachments
851D2ACE-819F-46CD-AB51-4BC4E087F324.jpeg
25FBB31F-8FCA-4275-B72C-EEE27F420476.jpeg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic