Question About Rocks

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Lleongko
Egg
Egg

Question About Rocks

Post by Lleongko »

Hi All,

I'm starting a tank and managed to find a few aquarium rocks. Are they safe for opae ula? I heard that some may raise ph and leach elements into the water.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
59B270BE-D25D-4BAB-98F2-31E9AD6B1483.jpeg
59389573-5CE2-4C81-A5CD-C3FA58B3F47F.jpeg
Lleongko
Egg
Egg

Re: Question About Rocks

Post by Lleongko »

Hi Guys,

I looked around and it think there are Seiryu Stones. Below is a description of them.

The famous Seiryu Stone is blueish grey in color with sharp jagged edges. Most of them consist of deep cuts and crevices within the stone itself. Seiryu Stones frequently have calcite veins within their layers, creating a great contrast from its brilliant blueish grey hue to its stripes of white veins.

Seiryu stones will definitely raise your pH and gH depending on how many pounds per gallon you have added into your tank. They are completely shrimp safe for Red Cherry Shrimp, Ghost/Glass Shrimp, and Amano Shimp. When getting into Crystal Red shrimp, it becomes a bit risky and you have to be cautious or counteract your rocks if they are affecting the water parameters too much.

Any thoughts on if its safe for Opae ula? Raising PH seems ok, I only have coral sand in my tank now, what about GH?

Thanks!!!
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

From what I know as long as they’re not live rocks you’ll be fine. Just make sure you clean them. I usually boil mine first and then let them cool down and rinse off before adding them to the tank.
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Hi Lloengko,
I have a .8 gallon jar that I started in March. I have 3 Seiryu rocks in there ( each is about ~4-6”). So far I have had no issues. Since I decided to take a simplistic approach, I never tested the parameters of the water (expect for the salt level when I first set up the tank), so I can’t tell if the ph level is changing. My shimps seem happy and so far no casualties, so I am happy with my rocks.
Good luck and please post pictures when your tank is set up :D
Lleongko
Egg
Egg

Post by Lleongko »

Nellyville41 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:43 pm From what I know as long as they’re not live rocks you’ll be fine. Just make sure you clean them. I usually boil mine first and then let them cool down and rinse off before adding them to the tank.
Hi,

I have already boiled them. But one of them still shows a green colour after cleaning. Not too sure what that is.

Thanks!
Lleongko
Egg
Egg

Post by Lleongko »

LittlePenny wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:18 pm Hi Lloengko,
I have a .8 gallon jar that I started in March. I have 3 Seiryu rocks in there ( each is about ~4-6”). So far I have had no issues. Since I decided to take a simplistic approach, I never tested the parameters of the water (expect for the salt level when I first set up the tank), so I can’t tell if the ph level is changing. My shimps seem happy and so far no casualties, so I am happy with my rocks.
Good luck and please post pictures when your tank is set up :D
Hi,

Good to hear! I will prob be adding the 2 pieces of Seiryu in later. Hope for the best!

Thanks