Starvation Prevention

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

moonbrooke
Egg
Egg

Starvation Prevention

Post by moonbrooke »

I’ve had my shrimp about 6 weeks and I have not fed them anything yet. I have not seen any visible algae growth in the tank at all, but I see the shrimp doing their thing and picking at all available surfaces. So I assume that they are happily munching on the non-visible biofilm. They are in a 2 gallon jar with about 1” deep black sand, 3 pieces of dragon stone arranged with lots of hidey holes, a few pieces of the calcium carbonate rocks, and a clump of the macroalgae. I also got a pack of 10 snails.

I’m completely comfortable with the idea of treating their tank (jar) as if it was a sealed ecosystem, and just never feeding them. I’m actually sort of afraid to disturb their system at all, beyond periodically taking off the lid and adding distilled water (slowly and carefully). And I understand the risks of over feeding, so I feel better just leaving them alone completely. However, I don’t want to be stupid and accidentally let them starve either.

So I guess what I’m looking for is someone to tell me that unless the shrimp actually start dying, it’s okay to just leave them alone and never worry about feeding them...
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Starvation Prevention

Post by Varanus »

Its generally recommended here that if you see no algae then its okay to feed them a small amount once a month or so. Just make sure its an amount that gets fully consumed within a few hours. That's what I did with my original tank (the one I moved to later has a lot of algae) and the shrimp did very well.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

It's okay to just leave them alone and never worry about feeding them. If you feel uncomfortable with that, then what Varanus said is the accepted wisdom of the board. (My personal opinion is don't bother removing uneaten food: 1. I'm lazy. 2. Why disturb the shrimp by fishing out food? 3. Leave it for the snails. 4. Extra rotting food may provide nitrates for algae growth.)

Consider:
* These are the shrimp they put in completely sealed EcoSpheres, where they can survive for years (still only a fraction of their lifespan) without additional food. You've already provided them with a better home than that.
* The snails will die of starvation first. Then the shrimp can eat the dead snails. If this happens, just buy a new pack of 10 snails every 5 years.

You didn't ask, but I'm also not a fan of adding distilled water carefully. Salty water is denser than distilled and if you're too careful the new water will float on top of the older saltier water. I just aim for a rock at the bottom of the tank and pour away. I only add water once every 3-6 months. I suspect this is less stressful to the shrimp: A big wash of water vs. a hand/giant predator "swimming" around in their immediate vicinity to mix the water.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I'm really curious about this. If you start with a new tank/jar shouldn't you want to feed it a few times at the begining for a jump start? Here's my reasoning. What will the algae feed upon. It needs waste from either the snails or opae to get started. If there's no waste what will the algae feed on? I do understand that there's biofilm present for the opae to eat. By feeding say freeze dried spirulina this would help right? Isn't that safe to use without polluting the tank?

I was in the same position. I have a jar that has been up for over a year. I feed it 3x at the begining spirulina. I have not fed it since. I can see the biofilm and some algae in there. Jar does great and has had more than 6 berried females to date. I can see at the bottom of the jar all the waste from the opae. Pics below for reference.
IMG_0755.JPG
berried1.JPG
Berried jar.JPG
jar3.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG
sbube
Egg
Egg

Post by sbube »

I've had my shrimp close to a year and have never fed them. What I do though, is to feed the algae. Every few months I'll put in a drop of F/2 medium which gives the algae the nutrients they need. By the next day the shrimp foraging activity has already noticeably increased. I'm still working out how often to do this, because I don't want to have too much problem with algae forming on the glass.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Interesting. Let me know how it continues to prrogress.
sbube
Egg
Egg

Post by sbube »

I can start a thread if anything interesting or unusual comes of it.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I raise daphnia for my fish. The daphnia are fed green water. Green water is a generic term for water with suspended algae or euglena . Euglena are small single cell critters that share traits of both plants and animals. They are eaten by larger animals up the food chain. In order to keep the green water going I just add the plant fertilizer Miracle Grow to feed it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

sbube wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 am I can start a thread if anything interesting or unusual comes of it.
Start it! :) Did they reproduce? Make sure you post pictures, too!
sbube
Egg
Egg

Post by sbube »

Yes, in May 3 of the 10 original shrimp got berried. It seemed like only about a third of the brood ultimately survived, maybe because of the size of the tank, less than 1/2 gallon. Actually, I had moved them between 4 different tanks before the births, so the "decision" to reproduce might have happened in a larger tank.

I have a second set of shrimp, obtained in April, that have not yet reproduced. They are in a larger tank, a little over 1 gallon. Awhile back I created a post with photos of it (back when it housed the first set of shrimp): https://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/v ... 076#p42076

For anyone curious, this is the product I use to feed the algae:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PB ... UTF8&psc=1
They actually sent me 2 tubes of it, though the description shows one. I use one drop in my larger tank, and diluted to 1/4 drop in the smaller one; currently on pace to add the nutrients 3 to 4 times per year. These amounts and the timing are subject to revision going forward.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Do you have any current photos of both tanks? Can you see the algae?
sbube
Egg
Egg

Post by sbube »

I'll try to start a new thread in a few days to show photos, so I don't continue to hijack this one.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

I wonder if a few drops of regular plant food/fertilizer (without copper, of course) would help algae grow as well? Has anyone tried that with supershrimp?

I did put some Miracl-Gro in my planted freshwater tank with cherry shrimp and they seemed unaffected.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I do but not in the opae tank. I use it on the macroalgae. I pull it out and stick it in a bucket by itself. I add a little Miracle Grow to it and leave it there for a week. Pull it out & rinse it and then back into the opae tank. The macroalgae will turn a dark green. I think this is due to the iron? I've tried other fertilizers for salt water algae but it doen't seem to do anything. For some of my tanks there doesn't seem to be enough waste being produced to keep the macroalgae well fed. It starts to turn off green or yellowish.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Here's an example. One of my tanks with the macroalgae from Petshrimp. For some reason the macroalgae on the left looks a bit greenish brown. I haven't felt like removing it. I did add some in this tank that was fed nutrients. It's much greener. The bunch on the right side used to be just as green but have faded over the last 5 months or so.
1.JPG
New macroalgae in the middle
2.JPG
New macroalgae
3.JPG