First Baby Shrimp in New Tank!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

First Baby Shrimp in New Tank!

Post by i<3Opae »

Yesterday I noticed babies in my one-year-old Opae Ula tank!! I'm sooo excited!!! I wanted to share the good news and thank all the people on this site who care about these shrimp and don't hesitate to share stories and advice. It certainly changed the way I set up and maintain (aka do nothing~~) a tank. It's a totally different experience compared to my other tank. So stress free and easy, save for the patience part haha. Hope you enjoy the picture I snapped of some of the babies. I counted them several times, there are about 10-12 of them.
First Babies in 5 Gallon Tank
First Babies in 5 Gallon Tank
shanster66
Egg
Egg

Re: First Baby Shrimp in New Tank!

Post by shanster66 »

That's awesome! Great tank, thank you for sharing. I hope mine will get to be like that.
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Awesome! Nice picture and cool rock! How many opae did you start with one year ago?
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Thanks! I started with 40 in this tank. :D
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

Congrats! I have a 5-gallon tank too. I got 26 shrimp in September. I'm hoping to get babies before the end of the year -- fingers crossed! Question: Do you ever feed your shrimp? I toss mine a tiny shrimp pellet every couple weeks (there's next to no visible algae in the tank anymore), but I'm wondering if I should stop doing that.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Thanks! I don't feed my shrimp cus there is always visible algae even with snails. With this particular new tank, there was actually too much algae on the glass, so I knew I didn't have to feed them extra. Maybe stop feeding for a while and see what happens! Overfeeding definitely is worse than underfeeding when it comes to opae ula.
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

Okay thanks! I do have an LED light on at least 12 hours a day so there is probably stuff growing that I can't see that they're eating.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congratulations! And your patience was rewarded in the end.... :D