Nerite Eggs/Larvae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Nerite Eggs/Larvae?

Post by i<3Opae »

I have some Pipipi snails, a type of nerite, in my tanks. This week I finally saw about 15 eggs scattered around the tank. I read that they will hatch in brackish water but need salt water to mature from larvae to snails. Can anyone who has nerite in their tank let me know what I should expect? If they'll mature into snails in brackish water, that will be too much bioload for the tank and its main residents - the shrimp. I guess I can start a nerite tank if push comes to shove. But if they don't even hatch, I don't wanna have tons of eggs hanging around...then should I put the female snail (I know which one) in a separate tank? Any first-hand knowledge of nerite is appreciated! :lol:
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Nerite Eggs/Larvae?

Post by mike.d »

I have 3 nerites in my tank (10 gallon). I see a bunch of eggs, but they have never grown into anything. Some eggs have hatched because there aren't as many as there used to be. My nerites' eggs don't leave rings when they hatch, at least, not that I have seen. I haven't noticed any dead nerite babies.

I did find a forum post (on another forum, I don't remember where) about breeding nerites. If memory serves, the author said he keeps his nerites in a brackish tank with a piece of wood and/or rock. When the wood or rock gets a lot of eggs on it, he transfers it to a full salt-water tank where the eggs hatch. He didn't say what he fed the baby snails.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Thanks mike.d! So you never had baby snails then even with some of the eggs hatching? I just separated the males from the female that's been laying eggs. I think that'll stop the eggs from appearing for now, until I know if I want to breed them.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

Correct. I haven't seen any baby nerites. But I would wager that the eggs are hatching just because (I think) I see less of them. My theory is the eggs are hatching, the babies die, the shrimp and the MTS eat the remains.

I also have a lot algae in my tank so it's not always easy to see what's going on.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Planktonic snail larvae are called veligers and are super tiny. As far as I know nobody has ever managed to "breed" snails with planktonic larvae.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Thanks for that knowledge Mustafa!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You're welcome! :)