Am I doing this right?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Shrimpy97
Egg
Egg

Am I doing this right?

Post by Shrimpy97 »

After my first run with shrimp all died (I had a plant in the jar I read could handle brackish but I think it ended up dying and creating ammonia.. live and learn..) So I started again but this time with a 1.5 gallon bowl and to let my bowl cycle for a while..

I followed petshrimps Instructions and added all my snails from the last batch that survived (all 10) to help with the cycling.. its been 2-3 weeks and have not noticed any signs of algae growth.. I think my water is too cold which is halting growth of anything.. I put my bowl in the window yesterday with an electronic thermometer and noticed the snails came out from the black sand and climbed on the side glass facing the sun.. it got to around 89 f and then i removed it from the sun..

Today I got a freshwater test kit and tested ammonia which is between 0.25ppm and 0.50ppm.. Nitrites were 0 which means no bacteria? Too cold? I added a few drops of Stability brand bacteria, and added a small airstone as I read the bacteria need oxygen, which Ill remove when I read the nitrites have raised..

Am I doing anything wrong?
Will the bubbles annoy the snails in such a small space?
Was it right adding the bacteria?
Is that too high of ammonia? Should I do water change?

I have lots of small fake plants but kind of regretting I put them in there.. I have the little petshrimp algae ball and algae rats nest (lolol sorry cant think of the names.) In there.

I apologize if that was kind of scattered. Haha
Attachments
20190325_180556.jpg
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Am I doing this right?

Post by mike.d »

Maybe take the lid off the tank to let more bacteria in.

After that, I'd give it another week and order shrimp. By the time they arrive you should be all set. Even if you don't see any algae it will probably be okay.
Shrimpy97
Egg
Egg

Post by Shrimpy97 »

Okay, will do. Thank you :-)
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

----

I'd ease up on the air bubbles as they really aren't necessary. Also, do you have a source of calcium to buffer the water? Aragonite, crushed egg shell, a chunk of cuttle bone, all will work. Room temp is fine.

===
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Also, there is some oxygen in the water even without a bubbler. Many bacteria may need oxygen, but they don't need much.