Is this the right kind of green algae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Is this the right kind of green algae?

Post by JoeG »

Can someone tell me if they have a similar algae to this light green fuzz that grows in my 5 gallon tank?
IMG_0303.jpeg
The tank has been running for about 17 months and this algae has been there for at least a year. The question is, is this a type of algae that the shrimp eat? I definitely see them picking through it but it might only be the biofilm that clings to it that they are eating.

Thanks for any replies.
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Is this the right kind of green algae?

Post by i<3Opae »

The algae looks okay to me, very pretty too. Water looks clear which is good too. Does the water smell? Try no feeding, as the access nutrient prompts algae growth as well.
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Water has no real smell. Haven’t fed for over a month and that feeding was the only feeding in about 4 months. There is shrimp poop that shows up on most of the algae so I think it is just recycling the shrimp waste. There are 30 shrimp in the tank.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

That looks very similar to the algae I have in my 10 gallon tank. Mine has been set up for almost 2 years and I've never fed them anything. I had to get a fleet of snails (3 nerites, now countless MTS - started with 14) to help keep it under control.

Here's a pic.
algae.jpg
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

mike.d wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:40 pm That looks very similar to the algae I have in my 10 gallon tank. Mine has been set up for almost 2 years and I've never fed them anything. I had to get a fleet of snails (3 nerites, now countless MTS - started with 14) to help keep it under control.

Here's a pic.
algae.jpg
-------

Have your shrimp been re-producing? It's nice to not have to feed them because of the ample algae supply.

=====
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

Yes. I started seeing floating larvae after about 15 months. But from June '17 to September '18 I had nothing. See my post below.

https://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/v ... 14&p=43800

Now I always see larvae floating around and there are always a few 1/4" juveniles out and about.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

mike.d wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:09 pm Yes. I started seeing floating larvae after about 15 months. But from June '17 to September '18 I had nothing. See my post below.

https://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/v ... 14&p=43800

Now I always see larvae floating around and there are always a few 1/4" juveniles out and about.
====

-----
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Mike.d thanks for the words of encouagement. Your algae does remind me of mine. I will definitely not feed again until the algae is gone. I was looking at the tank last night and the shrimp are active so they must be eating either the algae itself or the biofilm on it. I was thinking about adding some MTS to control the algae in the tank but I think if it isn’t broken just leave it alone. The shrimp seem healthy and active and they are definitely entertaining and low maintenance.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

The only reason I added snails is because I couldn't see into the tank. I added the nerites first. Then I threw in the MTS because the local pet store (PetCoSmart) had an infestation and they gave them to me for free when I was buying more nerites for another tank.

I'm with you on the "don't fix it if it's not broke" philosophy.