Starting the opae journey!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Re: Starting the opae journey!

Post by MrsDebLo »

Hi Everyone!

I started my tank 6 weeks ago. After 1 week I added Mustafa’s moss and algae balls. At 4 weeks I added 10 snails. And today I added 30 “scrumps” (that’s what I call them). They seem happy, and busy. I hope they are doing well. They were really pale, but I can already see some color coming back. I hope they feel good in my tank. I think my snails are doing good. I have a baby snail!

I hope all your tanks are doing great!!

Deb
MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Post by MrsDebLo »

Dch48 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:40 am My shrimp are in and doing well. They were very pale on arrival but are already coloring up after only 3 days.
Opae2.jpg
Opae.jpg
Your “Scrumps” look good! I hope mine get red like yours. Is everything still going good?

Deb
MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Post by MrsDebLo »

03amida wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:26 pm :smt006 Welcome MrsDebLo! I hope having the Mustafa mossball and algae hastens the cycling. I ended up waiting 6 weeks for my tank to cycle.

5 gallons is a decent size tank. How many shrimp are you planning on starting with? Are you getting snails?
Hi! :smt006

I just added 30 shrimp. They seems happy? I hope they are. :shock: :D

Sending happy shrimp vibes!

Deb
03amida
Larva
Larva

Post by 03amida »

Hmm as far as if they are happy you should start to tell what colors they normally are. Being paler than normal is the only thing I’ve read on this forum that *may* indicate that the shrimp are stressed and unhappy. I say may because mine were pale and zooming around but it was likely due to males chasing after a female.

I saw your other post and am so sorry for your loss. I hope that from this point on everything goes well. I look forward to reading a future post of baby shrimp!

Sending good shrimp vibes back your way. :D
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Post by JasonG3333 »

Great tank! Your scrumps are in scrump heaven!
MrsDebLo
Egg
Egg

Post by MrsDebLo »

Thank you to everyone for replying to my posts! It’s very much appreciated! This journey has been fun, exciting and stressful. But, I’m happy to announce that after almost killing all my scrumps, I have a berried female! YAY!!!!!

Thanks again for all the support and advice!
Attachments
8C46B0AC-694C-4DE5-B01C-4A44D893BFFE.jpeg
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Nice! I now have 5 hatched larvae floating and twitching around in my tank. It took like 6 weeks from first seeing the eggs. The temperature has been a steady 70 degrees.