High Res Pictures and movies of the lil' shrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SailorFromRI
Egg
Egg

Re: High Res Pictures and movies of the lil' shrimps

Post by SailorFromRI »

Hi Marianne. Your pictures are amazing! I have been experimenting with my SLR but I'm not getting anything like your results. I am going to try adding an extension tube and I have some blue LEDs on order for the tank. This is the best one I've managed so far. Plesse keep your awesome pictures coming =)
Attachments
DSC_0406.jpg
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

SailorFromRI wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 pm Hi Marianne. Your pictures are amazing! I have been experimenting with my SLR but I'm not getting anything like your results. I am going to try adding an extension tube and I have some blue LEDs on order for the tank. This is the best one I've managed so far. Plesse keep your awesome pictures coming =)
I like it, you can already count the legs and claws ! With that setup, when you'll have the LED you will probably already reach super cool levels of resolution.
If you manage to add an extension tube, I'll be curious about how you stabilize the whole thing when taking pictures. I've found I shake too much for most setups :roll:
SailorFromRI
Egg
Egg

Post by SailorFromRI »

Fun development! I started playing around with the manual settings on my phone camera and am getting some much better results! I was able to adjust f stop and use manual focus for this shot. I still think the new LEDs are going to help and I am noticing some distortion from the plastic (planning to go to a glass tank soon). Let me know what u think. I got a good snail video but it won't let me attach .MP4 will work on that =)
marianne wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:05 pm If you manage to add an extension tube, I'll be curious about how you stabilize the whole thing when taking pictures. I've found I shake too much for most setups :roll:
I have a tripod , so if I cant hold it manually I'll try that.
Attachments
20190226_104325.jpg
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

SailorFromRI wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:58 am Fun development! I started playing around with the manual settings on my phone camera and am getting some much better results! I was able to adjust f stop and use manual focus for this shot. I still think the new LEDs are going to help and I am noticing some distortion from the plastic (planning to go to a glass tank soon). Let me know what u think. I got a good snail video but it won't let me attach .MP4 will work on that =)
Manual is harder, but worth it it seems :D It's basically the best way to bypass mediocre autofocus requiring more light to be good.
We can see the little pigmentation dots on your picture, it's great ! With the manual mode, I even think you can probably do better if you take a slow subject (sleeping shrimp, or maybe snails ?) leaving you a good 30s at least to adjust. Given that you managed to obtain pigmentation dots on your last one you may see the snails small eyes on your pictures !

Not related : I found a ghost in my tank :-o :lol:
Attachments
P3020041.JPG
P2270017.JPG
SailorFromRI
Egg
Egg

Post by SailorFromRI »

Amazing pictures as usual =)
casper_boo_postcard-r50d75b5e0f7e47e2bc4f2d686876a18d_vgbaq_8byvr_307.jpg
casper_boo_postcard-r50d75b5e0f7e47e2bc4f2d686876a18d_vgbaq_8byvr_307.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
SailorFromRI
Egg
Egg

Post by SailorFromRI »

I was able to capture a video of a shrimp eating/cleaning a molt today. Video isn't the greatest, but I think its pretty cool. I love that my tank is right next to my desk so that I can see/capture the cool things these little guys do all day.

https://youtu.be/Bjv0Q8uA3Ng
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Alright, I tried to catch the same scene in my tank, as there is currently a few molts, but at the end couldn't. It's hard to accept how catching a nice movie rely on dumb luck sometimes ^^
Anyway your video is clearl and super nice ! And a little creepy, in a way, too :mrgreen:
SailorFromRI
Egg
Egg

Post by SailorFromRI »

It really was dumb luck! My tank is on my desk and I was working from home. When I saw what was going on I grabbed my phone as fast as I could and did the best I could to capture it. I totally agree that it is kinda creepy but it is life!! I am glad you liked it!!
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

That is so cool! I like how your shrimp has a sort of "clear" middle with red on the ends (like the Canadian flag -- ha ha). I don't think any of mine look like that.
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Some from Mustafa are like that. I remember one of the batch I received was more than half with a white stripe, whereas the previous batch had none.
We should ask him to push further the phenotype and have the little shrimp display a maple leaf in the white stripe :-D
Attachments
P2170013.JPG
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

So, I discovered that there were yellow shrimp in an other post. I'll add pictures to this tread.
I noticed that the yellow color is within the whrimp (picture 2), whereas the red coloration comes from dots on the shells. Even on the yellow shrimp we can see a few red dots.
In an other post Mustafa talked about an orange variation, if anybody has seen that it would be a super cool picture subject to add to the collection !
Attachments
P4070004.JPG
P3290039.JPG
Oople
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Oople »

Marianne, your pictures are really great. That yellow shrimp is so vibrant .. almost looks like a highlighter!
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Oople wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:55 am Marianne, your pictures are really great. That yellow shrimp is so vibrant .. almost looks like a highlighter!
Thank you ! I think Mustafa's project to breed new colors is really great for that reason :lol:

After a while without my camera (I left it on the wrong continent... :smt101 ), I'm coming back to full paparazzi mode ! The tank has seen a shrimplet boom recently, I thought I'd share my favorite picture of the different stages :D
Got eggs ?
Got eggs ?
Almost Ready
Almost Ready
I just floatz
I just floatz
Oople
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Oople »

That Almost Ready picture is amazing! Through your pictures I’m getting to see things that I haven’t seen with my own shrimp. Thank you!
marianne
Larva
Larva

Post by marianne »

Oople wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:35 pm That Almost Ready picture is amazing!
Then you might like the short video ! https://i.imgur.com/sxSaXgk.mp4
I'm a bit farsighted so the pictures and movies are also a way for me to see them better. Glad you enjoy them !