How many shrimp/snails is too many?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

xbeaugaming
Egg
Egg

How many shrimp/snails is too many?

Post by xbeaugaming »

Hey all,

I got 10 shrimp and 10 snails last November and the tank is a 2.5 gallon tank. Water is nice and clear, topped off with distilled and the shrimp/snails are going nuts! I had berried shrimp multiple times throughout the year and the recent batch was over 29 shrimp babies. Snails are so many I can't even count them anymore. I do feed them 2 crab pellets once a month and have to scrap the sides every 3-4 months, so there is plenty of food in there.

So the question, How many shrimp and snails are too many and when do I need to upgrade the tank from 2.5 gallons to something bigger? It's a work tank so the footprint is nice but daaammmn its getting "productive" in my tank!

Beau
Attachments
Shrimp 9-11.jpg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: How many shrimp/snails is too many?

Post by Super Jess »

They will self regulate! You will never have too many 😊
Dylan
Larva
Larva

Post by Dylan »

I've seen videos - where they were extremely densely populated. My Tank is quite dense and seems that the reproduction has not slowed a bit.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Don't you think you have a bit to much in there already? I think you should start to take some out. The population will contimue to grow.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

From what I’ve read from others, they’ll self regulate. I’ve been to some fish stores where they sell different colored shrimps and some of the 1 gal tanks have a ton of shrimps but they seem fine.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Also if algae is growing to the point that you have to scrape off the tank sides then you can probably forgo feeding at all.