Container Cleaning

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

cspina
Egg
Egg

Container Cleaning

Post by cspina »

Hi Folks,

You helped me a few months back when I added some new shrimp to my tiny container. I am happy to say all of my 5 shrimp are happy and I enjoy them. The container was sold to me as a closed system that you never had to do anything accept add water if it ever evaporated., did not even have to feed. Self contained. There were 3 shrimp in it but something occurred and I only had one left and I wanted him to have a frd. I added 4 more from Mustafa. Info provided from all of you was they probably liked to eat and not a closed container. I started feeding them. Every couple of weeks and just what would fit on a tip of a toothpick. I have had this container for 1 year now. I am finally getting algae growing on the side as you can see from the photos (is orange algae good). Do you wipe it off the sides of leave it on there for the shrimp to eat at? I never see them on it. My second question is look at the 4th photo, I am concerned about the food that is going uneaten in the bottom of the container? Should I do something with this. Or do you just leave it alone. Your thoughts please. Thank you.
Attachments
photo with food under rocks
photo with food under rocks
photo showing shrimp and algae
Dylan
Larva
Larva

Re: Container Cleaning

Post by Dylan »

I would not feed additional food, since algae is present they have all they need. Also in such a small container, there is almost no room for error in overfeeding.
cspina
Egg
Egg

Post by cspina »

Thanks Dylan. They get so excited when I drop a little of the food in there, I love to watch them. If not good to feed them I will not. I also NEVER see them on the Algae spots eating it. Is there a difference between brown, green and Orange (which is what I have) algae? What do you suggest about the food that is under the rocks, should I go in and clean that out? Will it ruin the tank (the shrimp are not strong enough to move the rock and get under it.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I think a small amount of spirulina powder every 10 days to 2 weeks would be fine. Just dip the end of a toothpick into the powder and then swirl whatever sticks to the toothpick into the water. They may not eat that orange algae or whatever it is. Mine really get excited over the spirulina.

I think that debris on the bottom is just shrimp waste and not uneaten food.
Dylan
Larva
Larva

Post by Dylan »

Except for cyanobacteria which is terrible to have in any tank, most algae is safe for the tank and the shrimp will feed off it.

If you are feeding you are adding nutrients into a closed system (which speeds up algae growth) and offering your shrimp arguably 'better' food which they eat instead of the naturally occurring algae/ biofilm.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Well, there is no visible algae in my tank at all. There is just a hint of a clear film on the decorations. At one time there was a fair amount of brown algae and some very fine fuzzy like green but the shrimp and Horned Nerite have done away with that.
cspina
Egg
Egg

Post by cspina »

Thanks for replies. Dch48 that seems like a lot of poop for 5 little tiny shrimp. I thought in a closed system maybe they ate there poop? Do you clean it out? or just let it all sit under the rocks? I am feeding them this which the specialty fish store gave me. I do just put the tip if a toothpick, they go crazy when I put it in there. I do like feeding them but not if it will hurt them in the long run. Do you use a knife and wipe the algae into the water or just leave on the sides. Cheers
Attachments
Food.jpg
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

There is no algae present in my tank except for the macro algae I got when I first started it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

cspina wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:24 am Thanks for replies. Dch48 that seems like a lot of poop for 5 little tiny shrimp. I thought in a closed system maybe they ate there poop? Do you clean it out? or just let it all sit under the rocks? I am feeding them this which the specialty fish store gave me. I do just put the tip if a toothpick, they go crazy when I put it in there. I do like feeding them but not if it will hurt them in the long run. Do you use a knife and wipe the algae into the water or just leave on the sides. Cheers
I would only feed once every 2-3 months in such a small container, if at all. And yes, the shrimp will eat that brown algae...any type of algae actually. And, as always, I suggest investing in a larger tank. Even a gallon container will be much easier to maintain, and you'll keep the shrimp happy and healthy in the long run. With a tiny container like this one it's like playing Russian roulette.