HELP! My shrimp are disappearing!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

sweetsiren
Egg
Egg

HELP! My shrimp are disappearing!

Post by sweetsiren »

Yesterday, my ten super shrimp arrived completely fine. I put their bag in my aquarium and let it float for several hours so they'd get accustomed to the water. Then I released them, and they seemed fine, swimming around and exploring the tank.

By noon the next day, I can see only three in the water. They linger by the sand and only move if I disturb them (with a straw). I can't find any corpses or anything, the other seven seem to have vanished (I'll keep looking).

I looked it up online, and the possible problems with the tank are innumerable. I used substrate, calcium rocks, salt, and macroalgae from your store. The only things I bought separately were the water (distilled) the lava rock (from petco--I soaked it in filtered water overnight and let it dry before putting it in) and the fishbowl (8" holds a half gallon). When the tank was done, I waited a month and a half for the algae to grow. Discussion forums say the rock might have toxins in it or the windex I used to remove the brown stains on the fishbowl might have remained (I washed it four times after using that chemical, and I only spot cleaned, I didn't spray the whole inside). Then I wondered if the macroalgae had overgrown and had upset the balance (after a month, it's grown pretty big). Other problems included wrong salt, substrate, etc. (which I got from you).

I'm planning to buy a test to check the water, but I need to know if I have to replace everything in the tank now (shipping from your store is a week minimum).

Please help me :cry:
Shrimp Bowl.jpg
sweetsiren
Egg
Egg

Re: HELP! My shrimp are disappearing!

Post by sweetsiren »

FALSE ALARM!!!! :shock:

I found the missing seven, and the are NOT DEAD!

They found a way to burrow under that giant lava rock in the middle (I removed the rock, and they were all like "THE SUN! IT BURNS!")

But I am still concerned with how they're practically glued to the black sand. I'm worried they're losing energy or slowly dying (rather that dropping dead and dissolving into seafoam like a mermaid). Yesterday, they were hyperactive in the baggie, now they're all "meh".

Should I be concerned?
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

sweetsiren wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 pm FALSE ALARM!!!! :shock:

They found a way to burrow under that giant lava rock in the middle (I removed the rock, and they were all like "THE SUN! IT BURNS!")

But I am still concerned with how they're practically glued to the black sand. I'm worried they're losing energy or slowly dying (rather that dropping dead and dissolving into seafoam like a mermaid). Yesterday, they were hyperactive in the baggie, now they're all "meh".

Should I be concerned?
Put the lava rock back and leave them alone! They need time to adapt so just leave them alone. You can remove some macroalgae if it is overtaking the tank, but really.....just leave them alone.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

sliphorn wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:11 pm
sweetsiren wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 pm FALSE ALARM!!!! :shock:

Should I be concerned?
Put the lava rock back and leave them alone! They need time to adapt so just leave them alone. Your bowl looks fine so........leave them alone.
sweetsiren
Egg
Egg

Post by sweetsiren »

:oops: I know that now. My friend decided to “help” by breaking the lava rock into smaller pieces, so now they have a stone to hide in instead of the brick they had before (at least the bowl is a tad lighter). I’m leaving them alone. I’m planning on feeding them once every fortnight (the shrimp food from Shrimp Bubble)
802C63A1-3947-4724-8C32-B0FCA4F16FB5.jpeg
I hope that’s okay.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

sweetsiren wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:14 pm :oops: I know that now. My friend decided to “help” by breaking the lava rock into smaller pieces, so now they have a stone to hide in instead of the brick they had before (at least the bowl is a tad lighter). I’m leaving them alone. I’m planning on feeding them once every fortnight (the shrimp food from Shrimp Bubble)802C63A1-3947-4724-8C32-B0FCA4F16FB5.jpeg I hope that’s okay.
Every two weeks will not be necessary if you have visible algae growing on the glass, rocks and substrate. You are dealing with a very small amount of water so feeding would have to be done with the utmost of care. In other words, a tiny tiny amount of food, or when in doubt.....leave them alone! Which is what I recommend.

Opae ula do best when left alone. Seriously. Just top off evaporation loss with distilled water and they will be fine. In your case you might feed once every two months....maybe.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Listen to sliphorn! :) :smt023