Plastic Plants

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

kurukdew
Egg
Egg

Plastic Plants

Post by kurukdew »

Hi all,

Remember Fred? He is doing well with his 2 snails. I have had him in a plastic tank for about 3 years now with plastic plants, real rocks etc. My question is with the brackish water will the plants degrade over time and leech chemicals into the water? Should I buy new plastic plants? If so, which brand does well in brackish water? Are there other decor anyone recommendations? Also, is the plastic aquarium okay with the brackish water over time? Thx!!!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Plastic Plants

Post by Dch48 »

I would think all plastic plants sold for aquarium use would be fine. I wouldn't worry about the tank at all.
kurukdew
Egg
Egg

Post by kurukdew »

I am worried, Fred when I do see him, is brown not red. I am worried the plastic is slowly degrading over time in the brackish water. I have tested all other aspects of the water and it is fine. Thinking I should get some new plastic plants...thoughts?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Can you post some pictures of your shrimp and plastic plants? I'm not sure what you mean by "brown". These shrimp never turn brown.
kurukdew
Egg
Egg

Post by kurukdew »

Hello,

I have attached some pics. One tiny image of Fred taken about 2 months ago...hardly ever see him. The tank is in the sun in these pics. It gets about 1 hour of sun each day. I have 2 snails George and Ralph, and Fred the shrimp. I feed a few fish flakes every 2 weeks. He goes from bright red to reddish brown like in this pic. I have tested the water and the temp is about 69 degrees. Just worried as these plants are getting about 3 years old now. Thank you!!!!
Attachments
20200109_084728.jpg
20200109_084709.jpg
20200109_084652.jpg
20191121_104700.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

It looks to me like you have quite a bit of algae growth so you shouldn't need to feed, let alone every two weeks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Your plastic plants look fine to me. They have quite a bit of algae growth, which is also fine. Just feed less. I wouldn't be worried at all at this point.