18-yr Ecosphere Shrimp Now Free! Hope I’m doing this right.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SherriO
Egg
Egg

18-yr Ecosphere Shrimp Now Free! Hope I’m doing this right.

Post by SherriO »

Newbie here :smt006

I had an ecosphere for 18 years. Yes. 18 years. One shrimpie was left. He was my work buddy until I brought the ecosphere home 5 years ago. Unfortunately, the sphere started leaking at the seal 7 months ago and I had no idea what to do! There wasn’t much water left when it was discovered. It sat upside down in a mug for 6 months. Then I found this site. Oh thank heaven!

So I bought a 1 gallon tank. (Wish I had purchased a bigger one) Then I went down Mustafa’s checklist. A few snails. Gave it a month. Poor shrimpie was waiting in his inch of water! Last week I set him free. It was such a relief. He turned pale for a bit - but has been happy as can be.

This week, Mustafa sent the 10 shrimp friends I ordered. Many were pale for a short time after going into the tank but they’re pretty much all a happy orange now.

Thanks Mustafa! You’ve definitely made this easy.

There is an exoskeleton in the tank now. Hope that’s what it is! I count 11 still. There are a couple of pale shrimp and one that’s a bit...yellow maybe? It doesn’t seem like there’s much algae. I fed them two tiny pellets and then took the uneaten portions out. I think I need a little feeding dish? Hard to get the food out.

I’m hoping that I’ve set this up right. I tested the water salinity and it’s good. Any other regular testing that needs to happen? Do I need more hiding places for these lil guys? I’ve attached pics and am hoping the experts can give me any pointers.
Attachments
C2B9235B-AB11-4E86-B46F-10A9343D56A9.jpeg
0615227C-67B5-4C5A-B54A-99A58BEE619A.jpeg
3940085D-2F8B-40F7-8104-0927BFC2F6C0.jpeg
C3DD63A1-19BF-4A87-B99B-83CA34EE919C.jpeg
ryangiggs
Larva
Larva

Re: 18-yr Ecosphere Shrimp Now Free! Hope I’m doing this right.

Post by ryangiggs »

Looks good... maybe some additional lava rocks and some corals to make it more natural...
Rex113
Egg
Egg

Post by Rex113 »

Wow 18 years in an enclosed ecosphere, that is truly a Super Shrimp :shock:
billy2020
Egg
Egg

Post by billy2020 »

Wow, I wasn’t sure I believed they really lived that long. I assumed they bred and folks thought the same shrimp were there for 20 years. So cool you found him a new home and friends!
SherriO
Egg
Egg

Post by SherriO »

ryangiggs wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:18 am Looks good... maybe some additional lava rocks and some corals to make it more natural...
Great! Thanks. Okay - will do. I was thinking of adding more in there. It sort of freaks them out for a bit whenever I do though...
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Wow! That little dude survived a long time! Lol. But as for your setup, you can add more if you like but just make sure you rinse out whatever you’re going to put in. If they’re molting, that’s a good sign that everything is going well and they’re happy. Yes any disturbance will turn them pale for a short period of time so don’t worry about that. If you’re going to feed them, crush one piece of tiny fish food into powder and sprinkle it on top of the water. They’ll get it on their own. But chances are they don’t need to be fed. They’re eating the micro organisms and the algae that’s starting to grow. Also even if you don’t see it right away, you’re fine. Don’t over feed especially if your tank can’t handle it. I have a 1 gal and 3 gal myself and I hardly feed those.
SherriO
Egg
Egg

Post by SherriO »

Thanks for the advice!!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi SherriO! I'm so glad you were able to rescue your 18 year old shrimp! Can you tell it apart? If so, it would be great if you could take a picture of it. :) Your tank looks great, I would not change much about it. If you fill it up with too much decoration, you will have less opportunity to see your shrimp since many will be hiding. Keep the updates coming!
SherriO
Egg
Egg

Post by SherriO »

Hello! I thought I could spot my guy for awhile but they’re all blending in together now. And...it’s feels like they’re getting big??
I worry that I may have lost a couple, but I did add a few hiding places (before your comment came in!). You’re right - it’s really hard to count them now. Let me see again if I can spot him but I worry that he’s one of the MIA. He was smaller than most of the newbies - and really bright orange.

I have had a couple that have molted now. But I’ve got what may be a silly question - Do you know what is all over the grabbing legs here??
Attachments
E67F7E86-D3D5-414F-9B05-34C9E80B6352.jpeg
sabbylina
Larva
Larva

Post by sabbylina »

SherriO wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:31 pm
I have had a couple that have molted now. But I’ve got what may be a silly question - Do you know what is all over the grabbing legs here??
Like crabs, male shrimp can have bigger front claws.