Re-cycling a tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

VegasShrimps
Egg
Egg

Re-cycling a tank?

Post by VegasShrimps »

Hello!

I started to cycle a tank sometime at the end of last year and it became an algae mess. I couldn’t buy shrimp because it was too cold/I wanted to wait until spring.

Fast forward, the algae was EVERYWHERE, so I decided to dump out all the water, used a new tooth brush to brush off the algae on the glass jar and re-scape everything. Now there’s a bed of algae looking “flakes” on the substrate and rocks / sea fan.

My question is.. since I just basically did a 100% water change with fresh brackish water - do I need to wait to buy shrimp? I left all of the algae, etc on the rocks and only toothbrushed off the sides of the glass and let all the algae fall to the floor.

If it changes things, the tank is a 1 gallon glass apothecary jar with black substrate, I have crushed coral and cleaned egg shells for buffering as well as some barnacles for rocks.

Thank you for the help
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Re-cycling a tank?

Post by Vorteil »

You will be fine. Get the shrimps!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

You could also get a ammonia test kit if you're still concerned. In general though, algae absorbs toxins from excess nutrients in the water so it's a good thing to have.
BaBa
Egg
Egg

Post by BaBa »

The beneficial bacteria populate on surfaces like rocks and substrate , so a water change won’t break the cycle. I assume you did the change immediately though and didn’t let the tank dry out.
VegasShrimps
Egg
Egg

Post by VegasShrimps »

Yes, I immediately replaced the water. The rocks, etc. were out of water for maybe 15-20 mins tops. Thank you all for the responses, shrimp order placed!