Opening an Ecosphere

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

NewShrimp
Egg
Egg

Opening an Ecosphere

Post by NewShrimp »

Hi everyone,
I've had an ecosphere for 2 years, and there are currently 2 shrimp left. I already have a tank set up and cycled and ready to go. I just need to open up the ecosphere, but I don't know how. I know that there's a seal at the bottom, but I don't know how to pry it open. Someone posted here that they used a screwdriver, but I can't get the screwdriver under the seal good enough to pry it open. On YouTube, there are currently no videos showing how to open an ecosphere. I also looked at past threads on this forum and found links to YouTube videos, but none of the videos are available anymore. My other fear is that the ecosphere will explode due to the pent up CO2. Lots of other people posted here that they moved their shrimp from an ecosphere, but did the ecosphere explode in the process? Is it more riskier to open my ecosphere up since it's 2 years old? What should I use to open up the ecosphere safely?
Thanks!
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Opening an Ecosphere

Post by Sasquatch »

I used an x-acto knife (narrow knife blade) which worked pretty good. I wouldn’t worry about it exploding never heard of such a thing. Once the seals off just hold it in the the tank till the shrimp swim out is my advice. Also don’t use the hair algae that comes in those things in the new tank.
NewShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by NewShrimp »

Sasquatch wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:26 pm I used an x-acto knife (narrow knife blade) which worked pretty good. I wouldn’t worry about it exploding never heard of such a thing. Once the seals off just hold it in the the tank till the shrimp swim out is my advice. Also don’t use the hair algae that comes in those things in the new tank.
Thank you very much! My 2 shrimp are now out and in their new thank. :D

They both look quite pale still. I know that it'll probably take some time for them to be settled in their new home. How long does it usually take for them to get settled in their new home? When should I be worried about them?

Additionally, I have some macroalgae in the tank. Is this a sufficient enough food source for them?

Thanks!
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

I think they would be settled within a day but I’m no expert. Their food source is actually biofilm and the little critters that grow everywhere in your tank. I believe the algae is just for looks and maybe helps a bit with water parameters
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I wouldn't worry too much about paleness. I have had my shrimp for over 10 months now and some of them have never turned red. Others vary from time to time. Only 6 or 7 out of the 25 I now have are always red but even they vary in intensity from day to day. Another 4 or 5 have never been anything but white. I kind of like the variety of coloration myself.
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Sasquatch »

I also like the color variation! I have one shrimp that has a clear ring of color between the red. Coincidentally she is berried right now. I’m hoping she will give me candy cane super shrimp!
NewShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by NewShrimp »

Sasquatch wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:59 am I think they would be settled within a day but I’m no expert. Their food source is actually biofilm and the little critters that grow everywhere in your tank. I believe the algae is just for looks and maybe helps a bit with water parameters
Thanks for the info! They definitely do seem settled in now. They are now swimming all around the tank and are pretty active. I gave them a tiny piece of shrimp food that I bought for them. They seemed to have eaten it. I'll wait at least a month before feeding them again.
Dch48 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:44 am I wouldn't worry too much about paleness. I have had my shrimp for over 10 months now and some of them have never turned red. Others vary from time to time. Only 6 or 7 out of the 25 I now have are always red but even they vary in intensity from day to day. Another 4 or 5 have never been anything but white. I kind of like the variety of coloration myself.
Ok, thank you! I was just wondering since before I moved them, they were red or at least pinkish red most of the time. They were pale for the first few days after I moved them, but now they are back to their red/pinkish red color variations. :D

Thanks for everyone's help! I love watching the shrimp in their new home. I even saw one of their molts (I never saw them in the ecosphere due to the white rocks used in the ecosphere)! I'm excited to continue caring for these guys. :)