No visible algae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Bryan
Larva
Larva

No visible algae?

Post by Bryan »

The tank has been up and running for close to nine weeks now but there is no visible algae. Using a Nicrew Classic Plus light set for 12 on and 12 off. I left the lid off and the room window open at various times hoping a spore might find its way into the tank. Temps are right at 70 to 72 degrees. Any thoughts on how to encourage some algae growth?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: No visible algae?

Post by Varanus »

You could try ordering some snails and/or moss balls from the site, they would likely come with some algae in the water which you can add to the tank when adding them.
Bryan
Larva
Larva

Post by Bryan »

Bought the snails and Macroalgae from Mustafa already. Guess I’ll just continue to wait.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

If the snails have been in the tank for some time without issue, then it should be safe by now to add the shrimp. Visible algae is an easy way to tell the tank is ready, but not the only way. In your case the biofilm that's growing may just be invisible to the naked eye (and the macroalgae may be taking too many nutrients for microalgae to proliferate to a visible degree). Lack of it after nine weeks just means it would be good to feed the shrimp a bit every month or so.

My own first supershrimp tank was similar, with little to no visible algae growth for weeks and weeks. I was advised to go ahead and get the shrimp as everything else in the tank was in order, and things went fine. I didn't get visible algae until long after.
Bryan
Larva
Larva

Post by Bryan »

Good to hear, and yes, I will feed them a little every few weeks.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

I have never had any micro algae in my tank (5+ years now I think, with them being in a gallon bowl for 4 years). I’ve wanted a layer of verdant green to grow but it has never happened. Besides the shrimp, snails, and macroalgae it looks like a wasteland. I’ve purchased Mustafa’s macro algae several times, and the first few times it has always died to a pale light green. Usually when I add in a new batch of macroalgae, the old stuff immediately starts breaking down like the new stuff is using it for nutrients.

I do feed my shrimp occasionally but have gone months without doing so. Not sure why micro algae has never grown in my tank. I suppose the little bits of water from Mustafa’s shrimps/snails/algae haven’t been enough for them to grow spontaneously. It has added barely visible microorganisms I think are good for the biome. Both my shrimp and the snails I got from Mustafa have also multiplied.
Bryan
Larva
Larva

Post by Bryan »

That really sounds familiar. Obviously things are going well if the shrimp and snails are reproducing. I’ll just not be as concerned about it. Thanks for replying!
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Just like everything else algae needs a food source. That's where the shrimp come in. They'll eat the bio film and algae converting it to waste for the algae to feed on. Without that they will be very little. I feed my opae every once in awhile and have learned how to keep my jars and tanks in balance. It's a complete cycle.
Yabby
Egg
Egg

Post by Yabby »

I'm having the same "issue?" Not sure if issue is the right way to address this situation. i set up my tank 2 months ago, 2 lights and its right next to a window, put the snails and macroalgae in. snails are doing great, macroalgae has gotten bigger. but the tank looks pristine, no visible signs of algae or anything else anywhere on walls or on the rocks, except for a layer of biofilm at the water surface.

I'm wondering if you added shrimp into your tank, if so, how are they doing?
Bryan
Larva
Larva

Post by Bryan »

The shrimp are doing well. I am feeding them once a week currently, alternating between half a piece of Cobalt Spirulina Pellets and a very small amount of Spirulina Powder mixed with tank water and injected into the tank with a syringe. The tank is clear and the shrimp are growing. Snails are also doing well. Macroalgae is not as dark green as it was when I received it on April 29, 2020 but it has tripled in size.

Still no evidence of algae however.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

My tank is close to a year old now and I have no visible algae either. There is a coating of biofilm on everything though. The macroalgae has grown some but really not that much. The shrimp are reproducing like crazy right now. I only feed a small amount of spirulina powder mixed with the distilled water I'm topping off with. That's like every 10 days or so.
skylorvivo88
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by skylorvivo88 »

Wow feeding once a week is a lot. If all it done rite you practically don’t need to feed them.
Bryan
Larva
Larva

Post by Bryan »

Yes, I know once a week is often. But the tank is crystal clear, and with no visible algae my thought is that by feeding them this often the shrimp will create enough waste to encourage the growth of algae. Also the macro algae, while growing, is very pale which again would seem to point to a lack of nutrients. I could be wrong in this assumption but thus far there have not been any negative impact due to this regimen.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Bryan wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:40 am Yes, I know once a week is often. But the tank is crystal clear, and with no visible algae my thought is that by feeding them this often the shrimp will create enough waste to encourage the growth of algae. Also the macro algae, while growing, is very pale which again would seem to point to a lack of nutrients. I could be wrong in this assumption but thus far there have not been any negative impact due to this regimen.
You are correct.
Bryan
Larva
Larva

Post by Bryan »

The over feeding plan has worked. There is now visible biofilm on the surface of the tank and also on the side glass. There is also a hint of green on the gravel. Think I’ll back off considerably now.
Attachments
C0EC1662-B691-4FE9-A38E-E1C67C66EC8B.jpeg