Evaporation and Adding Water

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SherriO
Egg
Egg

Evaporation and Adding Water

Post by SherriO »

46AA23C3-6F8E-4B4B-9322-E4B3B4E8F8D6.jpeg
I’ve had my 1 gallon tank for many months now and shrimp seem good so far! But there’s evaporation, of course. I continue to measure salinity, expecting it to increase as water evaporates. It stays the same. 1.012 every time. No matter the water level.

So should I top off with just the distilled water or should add salt to the water to keep salinity from decreasing? Thanks for insight!!

Oh! PS. I have a berried female!! See pic. So exciting! So, with that news, should I top off right now - or wait a bit?

And PSS. Do your shrimp harass the nerite snails? They seem to like knocking the poor snails off the sides of the tank. Like a favorite pastime.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Evaporation and Adding Water

Post by sliphorn »

SherriO wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:40 am 46AA23C3-6F8E-4B4B-9322-E4B3B4E8F8D6.jpeg

I’ve had my 1 gallon tank for many months now and shrimp seem good so far! But there’s evaporation, of course. I continue to measure salinity, expecting it to increase as water evaporates. It stays the same. 1.012 every time. No matter the water level.

So should I top off with just the distilled water or should add salt to the water to keep salinity from decreasing? Thanks for insight!!

Oh! PS. I have a berried female!! See pic. So exciting! So, with that news, should I top off right now - or wait a bit?

And PSS. Do your shrimp harass the nerite snails? They seem to like knocking the poor snails off the sides of the tank. Like a favorite pastime.
Use distilled or reverse osmosis water only. Adding more salt will increase salinity. Seeing as you have just a gallon tank, you are dealing with minimal evaporation before adding your top off water. Assuming you are using a simple hydrometer, it would not be accurate enough to measure the minor changes you are experiencing, unless you let it get really low. A more costly refractometer however, would. Stick with distilled or RO and don't sweat it. I never check my salinity and all is well in my nine tanks.
SherriO
Egg
Egg

Post by SherriO »

Thanks! Okay, I won’t sweat it. :-) Yes, I use distilled water and am using a refractometer. Appreciate your reply and advice.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Basically the salt that started in the water is going to stay there, so there shouldn't ever be a need to add more. Unlike water the salt doesn't evaporate.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I always top off with distilled. Every once in a while, maybe 90 days or so, I remove a few ounces of the water in the tank and replace it with some freshly mixed brackish. I just do it to replenish some of the minerals that may have been depleted. I put back exactly the same amount as I take out. Maybe it's not necessary but the shrimp always seem to perk up some when I do it.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Dch48 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:48 pm I always top off with distilled. Every once in a while, maybe 90 days or so, I remove a few ounces of the water in the tank and replace it with some freshly mixed brackish. I just do it to replenish some of the minerals that may have been depleted. I put back exactly the same amount as I take out. Maybe it's not necessary but the shrimp always seem to perk up some when I do it.
I do something similar; a 10% water change every 6 months or so. The shrimp definitely perk up.