Opae Ula

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Opae Ula

Post by 51Cornell »

Mustafa, how are your Hawaiian Reds coming along? Anything new to add to your varieties page on them yet? I've got about 20 of them in a brackish tank with a tufa rock and some live sand--they seem to be doing okay so far. The tank looks bare though--I'm so used to freshwater tanks that have plants all over the place. Should I/Could I put in just a little macroalgae to make the tank look greener? And will the shrimp eventually exhaust whatever living things they are picking up and eating now (what are they eating anyway)? Yeh, I'm dropping in a little powdered algae and Golden Pearls every day too. Have you tried acclimating yours to completely freshwater? Are you seeing a lot of breeding going on? I want to do right by these little guys.
bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

Post by bigheadtai »

You should put Java Moss in Brackish water. Java moss can live in brackish water and it would be good for the shrimps.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

My Opae ula are doing just fine. They are in full strength sea water with two green crabs and 2 peppermint shrimp (Lysmata sp. ). None of my original 35 has died. However, I have also not seen any breeding going on in the last 2 months. I might take some and put them in water with less salinity and see if I get any ovigerous females.

Mustafa
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by thgng »

Hi Mustafa,

Do you know of any LFS that are allowed to ship Opae ula shrimp to Singapore ?

I have a hard time finding this shrimp locally. Its seem to be popular in the USA but not Asia.

Anyway, I found it available in those mail order "Ecosphere".
I just hate to buy the sphere and break it to get to the shrimps. :(

HG
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nobody sends the Halocaridina rubra outside the US. Sorry. They are hard enough to get within the US. Do you know anyone who will send shrimp from Singapre to the US? :) I need to get some names and numbers of some exporters for a friend.

Mustafa
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by thgng »

Can I just buy some shrimps and send it to you in the US via DHL or FEDEX ? Is it legal ?

Can you also send me the Halocaridina rubra to Singapore via DHL or FEDEX ? What are the implications ?

If it's possible, then we can exchange shrimps ! :)

HG
doofie
Egg
Egg

Re:

Post by doofie »

Mustafa wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:54 am My Opae ula are doing just fine. They are in full strength sea water with two green crabs and 2 peppermint shrimp (Lysmata sp. ). None of my original 35 has died. However, I have also not seen any breeding going on in the last 2 months. I might take some and put them in water with less salinity and see if I get any ovigerous females.

Mustafa
hi, i'm thinking of peppermint shrimps to get rid of aiptasia in my brackrish tanks (with opae ula). May i know if:

1. will the peppermint shrimp survive on brackrish?
2. will the peppermint shrimps get along with opae ula? any fights?
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Opae Ula

Post by Dch48 »

You've resurrected a 16 year old thread. You might be better off starting a new one.
robokirk
Egg
Egg

Re: Opae Ula

Post by robokirk »

I love reading this thread because it shows that when people ask to put other types of shrimp, crabs, or plants with these guys, mustafa can say, nope, tried that 16 years ago.