Any concerns on inbreeding?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JDillon
Larva
Larva

Any concerns on inbreeding?

Post by JDillon »

I’m kinda curious and wonder if anyone knows if there are issues with inbreeding of these shrimps? I have bought some shrimps from another seller and Mustafa as I’d like some genetic diversity in my tank and would like to maybe experiment and see if I can get some different genetic traits to develop. My only concern is that it may lead to genetic abnormalities. Anyone have any experience with this or is this really not a concern with these shrimp?
Last edited by JDillon on Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDillon
Larva
Larva

Re: Any concerns on inbreeding?

Post by JDillon »

Would any small hobby shrimp owners be interested in tradIng, selling or swapping some of their pets in order to promote a more genetic diversity?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

From what I've heard, inbreeding doesn't seem to be an issue with these shrimp.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I have read that in the wild, Opae's from different islands will not interbreed. It's even been said that ones from different pools on the same island will not interbreed. How true this is I don't know but genetic diversity doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I too, have shrimp from Mustafa and another seller. However, I am about 90% convinced that the person I bought from on eBay is a member of this group so maybe his shrimp originally came from Mustafa and are of the same bloodline. I won't state any names.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Varanus wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:29 pm From what I've heard, inbreeding doesn't seem to be an issue with these shrimp.
I have heard the same thing. These are fairly low order creatures.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

These shrimp will only breed with ones that come from the same island. So Maui with Maui, Big Island with Big Island and so on. The DNA is slightly different from all the islands. If you're trying to get diversity you won't/can't. It's completely different from the FW shrimp where you can breed and attain certain traits,
JDillon
Larva
Larva

Post by JDillon »

So if I plan on breeding them I should make sure and get a large enough quantity Since they won’t breed if they are not from the same island? Where do Mustafa’s shrimp originate from? Anyone know by chance?
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I believe the link below talks about the DNA and breeding.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... e_of_Hawai