Small Containers

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

cspina
Egg
Egg

Small Containers

Post by cspina »

Hello,

I have asked this question before cannot find if it was answered. I have 2 tiny containers of shrimp (they were sold as closed self sustaining never had to do anything with them - they were a gift.. I have posted photos below if they come through.

1. glass round container is over a year old, originally 4 shrimps, 3 died fairly soon of receiving and the last shrimp has lived over a year.
2. The plastic square box has 5 shrimp in it and they are over 2 years old. Maybe older I have had them over 2 years.

My questions,

A. is I feed them periodically with the food also photo attached,THEY LOVE IT, they go crazy when I put some in there, I use a tip of a toothpick. You can tell by the photos the food (assuming food and not poop) is building up under the rocks. the water is clean, light algae on all sides. Should I clean out this container,by running the water through a screen to take all the old food out and then put the water etc back in. Or leave it alone? Or maybe try like a turkey baster to suck out the water. Does it hurt the shrimp to move them around? stressful?

B. Lastly, the Glass container which only has one, originally I wanted to place my 5 from the plastic container in glass one but I am scared if i do I will kill my 5? Thoughts on that please??? If I do this should i acclimate by adding some water from each container into the others? I believe the one single in the glass is lonely and needs a buddy (although they really do not seem to be buddies in the plastic container and seem to stick by themselves. The single one has never taken on any color - clear, like my 5 are beautiful orange. Never any babies.

Please don't tell me to place in a larger container. Whatever they are in currently for 2 years must be OK with them as I feel they thrive and our happy since they are beautiful orange. thanks for reading. Cheryl
Attachments
20200829_211451.jpg
20200829_203931.jpg
20200829_203900.jpg
20200829_203757.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Small Containers

Post by Varanus »

If you want to not be told to put them in something bigger then you're in the wrong place. Basically you're going to be taking big risks no matter what you do when dealing with such small containers. These shrimp do well in small aquariums, but even then they benefit from around a gallon or more to really thrive. These shrimp can survive for years in poor conditions, and color alone does not indicate health.

With these shrimp cleaning is not normally necessary, nor is acclimating them to a new tank (provided said tank has cycled), but all bets are off when dealing with less than a gallon of water as you seem to be. Even minute changes can have large effects when there is so little dilution. The fact that 3 died in quick succession in one of the containers shows that (these shrimp live for decades normally, so multiples dying is pretty much always because something is/was wrong).

If you do move them to the other container then just try to do it quickly and with as little disturbance as you can. Beyond that you may just have to hope for the best.
BaBa
Egg
Egg

Re: Small Containers

Post by BaBa »

+1 to Varanus post