Berried shrimp in community tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

WildShrimp
Egg
Egg

Berried shrimp in community tank

Post by WildShrimp »

Hello everyone! This is my first ever post on this forum. I actually have some questions to ask. I have a community tank with about 15 shrimps (red cherry shrimps, blue diamonds, yellow shrimps, orange sunkist, and red hinomura), 2 guppies, and 8 zebrafish, all of which are perfectly healthy. However, about 3 days ago, I discovered that one of my yellow shrimp and blue diamond shrimps have berries.. and I am worried about the shrimplets being eaten once they are born. I did my research and found out that it is best to transfer the fish into a temporary tank to ensure all shrimplets survive, but there are also some forums that say 'if breeding shrimps is not your initial purpose of having the tank, then you don't have to move the fish and just let them be. As long as there are plenty of hiding places, the shrimplets will definitely survive.' So my initial thought was to just keep the tank as it is. However, I soon begin to feel bad (?) is none of the shrimplets survive. But here's the problem.. I don't have another suitable tank to keep my fish temporarily (because when the shrimplets are born, I still have to wait for them to grow bigger before transferring the fish back in right?). the only available container is my two fish bowls that do not have any filters and they are quite small even if I divide my fish into 2 groups of 5.. So I am currently very confused on what to do.. I am in no position at all to buy another tank (it's quite expensive, not to mention that I have to provide the substrate, plants, filter, etc. and am just a broke college student lol). My sister actually have a bigger tank, and I can transfer my fish there first. However, that tank is filled with baby guppies (around 1month old), so that is definitely not an option as I read zebrafish can attack/eat small fish. Any suggestions? I am completely lost right now..
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Berried shrimp in community tank

Post by Varanus »

This isn't really a topic for this board, but I'll give my two cents. Namely if you can't put the fish in another tank then the most you can do probably is provided as many hiding places for the baby shrimp as you can. That raises the odds that some will survive.
WildShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by WildShrimp »

Oh I’m sorry for posting this on the wrong board.. I’m still trying to familiarize myself with this forum.

Yes, that is what I did 😁 I hope my shrimplets can survive. Thank you for answering!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

This board is only for discussing the brackish water supershrimp these days (it used to be broader, but Mustafa decided to centralize things), but there are plenty of others out there for freshwater shrimp.
WildShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by WildShrimp »

I see.. alright. Thank you for the info! :D