How Often To Feed Snails During Cycle?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ProLogic
Egg
Egg

How Often To Feed Snails During Cycle?

Post by ProLogic »

Hi All,

I now have a small macroalgae ball and 10 snails in my new tank and I'm waiting for it to cycle/grow algae. I received advice in this forum to feed the snails because there won't be any food in the new tank, so I added a blanched piece of spinach for 24 hours and then removed what was left of it. I understand the snails have a slow metabolism ... but how slow? Should I feed them weekly? There is no sign of any algae growing yet.

Thanks,

Chris
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: How Often To Feed Snails During Cycle?

Post by Nellyville41 »

When I started my tank, I don’t think I fed them. Once the tank cycled I ordered the shrimps. The snails for the most part stayed under the gravel and came out rarely.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: How Often To Feed Snails During Cycle?

Post by Vorteil »

IMHO I cannot think of not feeding a tank at the beginning. You have pure brackish water and you're looking to cycle it. What better way than to start with freeze dried spirulina powder. The opae or snails can feed on it & create waste which in turn will feed the algae which the opae will feed on. complete cycle.