Heater recs please!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Spikeschilde
Egg
Egg

Heater recs please!

Post by Spikeschilde »

Hello all.
I have a small tank (1 gal) that I'm still cycling. I've added an algae ball and 10 tiny snails that I bought from this website.
I have 4 opae ula from an ecosphere that have not been added, as I don't see any visible algae yet.
My question is, it's about 68°-70° F in my house year round and the water is only about 64°
Do I need a heater? What is optimal temp for my little skrimp frans? I'm hoping they'll breed.
Thanks!
Larry8
Egg
Egg

Re: Heater recs please!

Post by Larry8 »

You don't need a heater. My 1 gallon is 64 degrees and the shrimp are thriving since October. I believe that Mustafa reported that he even had breeding at temps below 50. Best,. Larry
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Spikeschilde wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:22 pm Hello all.
I have a small tank (1 gal) that I'm still cycling. I've added an algae ball and 10 tiny snails that I bought from this website.
I have 4 opae ula from an ecosphere that have not been added, as I don't see any visible algae yet.
My question is, it's about 68°-70° F in my house year round and the water is only about 64°
Do I need a heater? What is optimal temp for my little skrimp frans? I'm hoping they'll breed.
Thanks!
I would go ahead and add the four shrimp that you have and maybe put a very small piece of flake food in the tank too. That should help things along nicely. How long has the tank been up and running?
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

No heater is necessary. You really can't get one for a tank that small that would be reliable and safe anyway. The ones made for small containers do not have a thermostat in them and it's always a possibility that your animals could get cooked.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Dch48 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:27 pm No heater is necessary. You really can't get one for a tank that small that would be reliable and safe anyway. The ones made for small containers do not have a thermostat in them and it's always a possibility that your animals could get cooked.
I totally agree. OP, you don’t need a heater, and with a tank that small, you risk cooking them if it malfunctions. My house is about 64-68 in winter (we don’t keep the heater on at night) and last month I had about 6 berries shrimp release their larvae.
Spikeschilde
Egg
Egg

Post by Spikeschilde »

Thanks. My tank cycled for a month and I added the shrimp last night.
I have sinking shrimp pellets, but I think they're too big. I put one in last night and this morning it had swelled up with water and "poofed" when I tried to remove it.
I was thinking I should probably cut them in half, but they're so small, about 4mm. I could crush it but I'm not sure how much to give them. I was thinking of refeeding again in 4 weeks.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Spikeschilde wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:56 am Thanks. My tank cycled for a month and I added the shrimp last night.
I have sinking shrimp pellets, but I think they're too big. I put one in last night and this morning it had swelled up with water and "poofed" when I tried to remove it.
I was thinking I should probably cut them in half, but they're so small, about 4mm. I could crush it but I'm not sure how much to give them. I was thinking of refeeding again in 4 weeks.
Easy does it when it comes to feeding. The snails should clean up the food mess. In the future you could crush one pellet and give a small portion of the crumbs/dust.
Spikeschilde
Egg
Egg

Post by Spikeschilde »

I just found out that the pellets I got contain copper.
So I'm returning them and getting a different brand. Will go smaller too (.5mm)
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

You might want to consider freeze dried spirulina powder. I'm not a fan of the ingredients of the shrimp pellets in the market. Just my 2 cents.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

The Omega One shrimp pellets are good.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

@Dch48

You don't feel that there's too much protein in the Omega One pellets? Salmon, herring, & shrimp are some of the main ingredients . Especially in tanks without filtration? I know shrimp overall are scavengers.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Vorteil wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:17 am @Dch48

You don't feel that there's too much protein in the Omega One pellets? Salmon, herring, & shrimp are some of the main ingredients . Especially in tanks without filtration? I know shrimp overall are scavengers.
Not if you only feed a very small piece. I actually have never given any to my Opaes. I was just saying they don't contain any copper if you're worried about that. I gave mine a Crab Cuisine pellet yesterday and they loved it. Those have a lot more filler type material though. I feed the shrimp pellets to my Mystery snails and Red Clawed Crab in other tanks. I very rarely will scrape off bits of an Omega One Veggie Round with my fingernail and give the Opaes the small bits.