Almost ready to order shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

RipperJim
Egg
Egg

Almost ready to order shrimp

Post by RipperJim »

Maybe in a week or so I will have my tank setup for about a month with all stuff ordered on petshrimp.com per the instructions there as well. Have a vert green moss ball, some macroalgae too. Don't see hardly any signs of algae growth. I'm sure it's there but I just can't see it.

Too soon to order?
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Almost ready to order shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

If you're worried about your shrimp having a food source, the general idea is that if you have cycled your tank for a month and it has a good source of light you should be fine. If you ordered your macroalgae from mustafa it will have lots of good bacteria that will help cycle your tank. When I initially introduced my shrimp I did not have visible algae growth. You can try to look at your tank from the bottom to look at the surface of the water and see if there is any evidence of a biofilm, as that is usually one of the first signs.

You should know that marimo balls are pretty controversial here; mustafa does not recommend them and they tend to cause more problems then they're worth, but many people use them in their tanks successfully. Good luck (-:
RipperJim
Egg
Egg

Re: Almost ready to order shrimp

Post by RipperJim »

Thanks for the response. I do see a layer of what you might call bio-film on the top of the water looking up from underneath. You're right there's probably ample food source in there then. I'll order soon.