Shipping temps for these lil guys?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Fishkeeper
Egg
Egg

Shipping temps for these lil guys?

Post by Fishkeeper »

A friend of mine has an opae tank set up, but doesn't have the budget to afford shrimp and shipping, so I want to send them some of my shrimp as a gift. The temperatures in their area will be getting down to the 40s and 50s when I want to ship. I don't want to wait for it to warm up, because once it's warmer in their area, it's going to be really hot in mine. And I know cold is much more survivable than heat, for most aquatic critters.

So, will short-term temperatures into the 40s (Fahrenheit) hurt opae? I'd insulate it well to hopefully keep it a little warmer. I do have heat packs I could use, but I worry about them getting too hot, even when placed away from the bag.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Shipping temps for these lil guys?

Post by Vorteil »

You'll be fine to ship. I guarantee it. Don't use heat packs.
Fishkeeper
Egg
Egg

Re: Shipping temps for these lil guys?

Post by Fishkeeper »

They did just fine! Got to their new home day before yesterday. I just forgot to update this until now. No heat pack, just newspaper insulation, and they were allowed to warm back up to room temp before being acclimated and transferred. Normal levels of in-a-bag activity all the way.