Snail Population Problem?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ProLogic
Egg
Egg

Snail Population Problem?

Post by ProLogic »

Hi All,

I have 2 x 2.5 gallon tanks with 30 shrimp in one and 40 shrimp in the other. Each tank also had 10 nerite snails for cycling purposes. The shrimp seem happy but have not reproduced yet. The snails on the other hand are going nuts. I now have at least 20 snails in each tank ... their population has at least doubled in just a few months (6 I think) and those are only the babies I was able to see. Do I need to worry about the potential bio-load of these snails?
Thanks!
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Snail Population Problem?

Post by sliphorn »

ProLogic wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:37 pm Hi All,

I have 2 x 2.5 gallon tanks with 30 shrimp in one and 40 shrimp in the other. Each tank also had 10 nerite snails for cycling purposes. The shrimp seem happy but have not reproduced yet. The snails on the other hand are going nuts. I now have at least 20 snails in each tank ... their population has at least doubled in just a few months (6 I think) and those are only the babies I was able to see. Do I need to worry about the potential bio-load of these snails?
Thanks!
Are you sure they are nerites? How big are they and what are their shapes?
ProLogic
Egg
Egg

Post by ProLogic »

No, I'm not at all sure. I have no idea why I called them nerites. They are the brackish water snails from the shop.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

You bought the snails from petshrimp.com? If so you have no worries. Do you feed your shrimp? A bit of spirulina powder once in a while is a good thing. It often times takes more than six months for any breeding to occur.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Depending on how you set your tank up and maintain it will determine what happens with your MTS population. My opinion is you will continue to see babies produced but they will never get big like the adults. They will stay small and never reach their adult age and size. Below is a link to my MTS. The largest available on the market. Extremely healthy and no lack of calcium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFxRYlCH1mk