Tank Setup - Before & After. For fun, post a photo of your tank and tell us about it .....

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Tank Setup - Before & After

Post by attygirl »

5th Update - More berried shrimp! 😎 So my floater went into hiding ... hope it’s okay. But, today I saw two berried shrimp!!! It’s a big deal for me .... since it has taken so long for them to breed! One looks like she is ready to release the eggs ...
D90609DC-3DA8-4F31-B4B7-C082E66D91B2.jpeg
And the other looks like she will be carrying for a few more weeks
B77D0429-2BAB-4437-87D8-2573B23ABBE2.jpeg
Thanks for reading 😎😎🍷
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by attygirl »

6th Update: Yup, more BABIES!!! :D

The shrimp released her larva and I now have 10 floaters hanging out ......
EDBE64AB-AAE7-4A43-9F44-C7C0247C2D03.jpeg
Can you find them all???
Plus, I have two berried shrimp and saw a molt so maybe another berried in the near future.

It’s fun to see them thrive but it looks like my macro algae is dying...Thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

Edit ... just looked at photo on iPad ... I think there are 11 - look at the macro algae ......
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by attygirl »

7th Update - THREE berried ladies .....
One is on the thermometer and the other two are on the blue plant. The third gal is kind of hard to see but is near the bottom of the blue plant and it looks like the eggs are just starting to form ...
F79ED5FB-1DC1-4426-B4DA-21C269AB6054.jpeg
So fun to watch and see new life come into existence 😎 :D
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by attygirl »

8th Update: Things are happening .... one of my floaters morphed into a tiny shrimp - hard to get a clear picture
A4324A8F-5C55-4F56-A9CD-8E8374FE0E12.jpeg
This one looks like he is more advanced than a floater but not yet morphed into a shrimp
84883286-5F3E-4A6B-ADD1-DDA44DD8E95D.jpeg
One of my females released her babies and while they floated up high for a few days, lately they have been hanging out in a corner of the tank
A45115B1-70BE-4195-B64F-3DF2171C71BD.jpeg
Thanks for reading ...😎
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Tank Setup - Before & After. For fun, post a photo of your tank and tell us about it .....

Post by sliphorn »

Drawn to the light.
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Tank Setup - Before & After. For fun, post a photo of your tank and tell us about it .....

Post by attygirl »

sliphorn wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:04 am ..
Drawn to the light.
Thanks ... Good to know :wink:
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

This is giving me hope!!!!

I have had a small 1 gallon jar for 3 years now and no berried shrimp yet.
I'm thinking of bumping up the size to something larger! I have about 16 shrimp and so much algae but have never had any babies.
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by attygirl »

Kval1015 - with 16 shrimp you should have both sexes ..... I only had six shrimp and I am thinking that is why I never had babies. However, I also did not have any hiding spaces for them. I added a lava rock in June 2020 and then decided to upgrade to a bigger tank a few months later. I also added 50 shrimp purchased from two different sources (but don’t do this as they do not interbreed when originating from different islands). So, maybe adding a hiding place for the shrimp will help or upgrading to a larger tank and adding more shrimp. 😎😉
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

attygirl wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:35 pm Kval1015 - with 16 shrimp you should have both sexes ..... I only had six shrimp and I am thinking that is why I never had babies. However, I also did not have any hiding spaces for them. I added a lava rock in June 2020 and then decided to upgrade to a bigger tank a few months later. I also added 50 shrimp purchased from two different sources (but don’t do this as they do not interbreed when originating from different islands). So, maybe adding a hiding place for the shrimp will help or upgrading to a larger tank and adding more shrimp. 😎😉
I just purchased a few more lava rocks and a moss ball as well.
I'm hoping that will help jumpstart things. I've also considered bumping up the tank size as well - I'm going to try the first few changes and then make a decision on the larger tank. I'm sure I likely have both sexes - I just wish it was easier for me to tell the difference between them!!
Opaeula_mama
Egg
Egg

Post by Opaeula_mama »

Any updates attygirl and kval? I love the progression pics attygirl 🥰
senideldino
Egg
Egg

Post by senideldino »

Hi guys, I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I got the shrimps couple of years back about 7 of them in a small bottle and slowly got them in bigger tank while donating the smaller tanks.
The latest would be the white 60 liter tank.
I'm interested to get my hands on some plants, currently I have chaeto algae only. Most plants died just like that.
Couldn' find much locally to improvise, I would love to add hermits and snails.
Attachments
IMG_20210713_184145.jpg
IMG_20210713_184122.jpg
Screenshot_20210720_135903_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Screenshot_20210720_135838_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Screenshot_20210720_135454_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
Screenshot_20210720_135446_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

senideldino wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 pm Hi guys, I'm from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I got the shrimps couple of years back about 7 of them in a small bottle and slowly got them in bigger tank while donating the smaller tanks.
The latest would be the white 60 liter tank.
I'm interested to get my hands on some plants, currently I have chaeto algae only. Most plants died just like that.
Couldn' find much locally to improvise, I would love to add hermits and snails.
Chaeto only please. Anything else will die and pollute the tank. And no hermit crabs either. Problems WILL arise. For the best success stay with the opae ula only and some Malaysian Trumpet snails are okay too.
senideldino
Egg
Egg

Post by senideldino »

I was considering trumpet snail but what worries me is that they breed successfully in brackish environment. Wouldn't that be a problem, anyone with experience?
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

senideldino wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:06 am I was considering trumpet snail but what worries me is that they breed successfully in brackish environment. Wouldn't that be a problem, anyone with experience?
MTS are not a problem. They help create balance. All of my thirteen tanks have MTS.
senideldino
Egg
Egg

Post by senideldino »

i googled MTS and somehow its looks kind off uncomfortable for me.
I have eleocharis acicularis on a smaller tank trying to convert it to brackish but they are turning brown slowly, left the light on whole day but doesn't help either.
My opae ula tank salinity is at 1.014 bottom and 1.016 at the surface at least as per my deep sea hydrometer.
Anyone successful with eleocharis acicularis in their tank?