My New Tigers

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

S
Egg
Egg

My New Tigers

Post by S »

Here is one of my new tiger shrimp:

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats on your new tigers. However, the one on the pic looks sick/stressed out, so I hope he will survive along with the other tigers you have. The milky coloration you see the picture is a sign of sickness and usually a good indicator that your shrimp is on its way out. Some recover but many die. Unfortunately, this condition is not rare at all with imported shrimp that have been through hell in different importers' and dealers' tanks before finding their to the hobbyists' tanks. probably 50%-90% of the batch they were imported with are already dead as we speak. Healthy shrimp are see-through and crystal clear in parts of their body where they do not have any colorful markings (i.e. where there are no tiger stripes in this case).

Also, in the case of your tiger, look at how the stripes are not really all the way black and fading. Another sign of sickness. Compare the stripes of your tiger shrimp to the tiger shrimp pictures I posted on my "shrimp varieties" page and you'll see the difference.

In any case...good luck with the shrimp and hopefully some will recover and breed for you.

Mustafa
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Mustafa is back ! :D

I bought some tigers last week. Two of them are pregnant. They're living with my nine baby cherries. Looking forward to see the differences between tiger babies and cherry babies.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Becky,

Yes, I have been back for a while, but I have been too busy to post much in the forum. :( I hope your tiger shrimp are healthy enough to actually survive until the young hatch. Survival is always a problematic thing with wild caught animals. Once the young hatch you will see that they are *much* smaller than the young of Red Cherry shrimp....that is...if you can see them at all at first. They are truly tiny and do not have any tiger stripes on them. They are see-through until they are pretty large juveniles at which point they start developing the Tiger stripes. Hence, do not expect to see tiny shrimp with tiger stripes running around anytime soon. ;).

Take care,
Mustafa
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Yaaayyyy ... welcome back from Spring Break :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

amber2461 wrote:Yaaayyyy ... welcome back from Spring Break :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Hi Marge,

I'm glad to be back. :D :smt006 :smt024

Mustafa
S
Egg
Egg

Post by S »

Thanks for the replies. As it is with any creature we bring into our homes, be they shrimp, human, or other, only time will tell as to their ultimate fate. They are exhibiting typical shrimp foraging behaviour and I have not seen any dead shrimp so far. They are in their own dedicated tank with lots of moss and other shrimp goodies. Another positive is that I was able to get them directly from the wholesaler thus eliminating another shipping ordeal for the shrimp.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hey "S",

Keep us up to date on those shrimp. As I said, they might just recover and do just fine. As to the foraging behavior...I have seen sick, milky shrimp forage and act outwardly normal for days and weeks up until the day they just dropped dead (and some still try to pick at stuff as they are dying). They litereally "drop dead." It looks like some kind of paralysis where they cannot move their limbs anymore and either drop from wherever they are sitting or drop on their sides. And again...they forage up until they drop.

This is very different from another type of shrimp disease/stress reaction where the shrimp stop foraging and just sit around miserably until they die.

Best of luck with them!

Mustafa
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

I follow amber : Welcome back Mustafa ! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

You know what I was thinking. Yes, I thought I would see tiger stripes. In this case, I'll wait.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

I second and third becky ... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

:smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt038 :smt039 :smt038 :smt039 :smt038 :smt039 :smt038 :smt039 :smt047 :smt045 :smt047 :smt045 :smt047 :smt045 :smt047 :smt045

Must be Spring, something sprung among the Smilies
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

One of my two pregnant tiger shrimps gave birth to a lot of babies last night (or this morning, I don't know). Wow, not I've got a lot of tigers. There are so many that I can't tell how many. There are more than 30 !

Yes, the baby tigers really have no tiger stripes. They're simply transparent. Last time 9 out of 22 baby cherries survived. Don't know how many of them can become adults this time.

Mustafa is quite right. My one-month-old baby cherries look very small among the adults. Now the one-day-old tigers look even much smaller than the baby cherries.

The feeling is soooo good ! :lol:
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

congrats becky! i lost all my male tiger shrimp not too long ago and i didn't move the female in time for the babies to hatch, so i lost them too. i'm glad you've got a bunch to build a population of them. take good care of them!
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Thanks very much Retardo :smt039

I'll take good care of them and I look forward to seeing mini tigers with stripes. Now I have babies of my most favorite species :D

Oh, sorry to hear that your tigers couldn't flourish. Well, all those shrimps were lucky as they once lived under our good care, though they're no longer with us.
shrimpboyLA
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimpboyLA »

Congrets!! I once had a breeding population of Tigers that went on to three generations. I was kinda worried when babbies grew up and then have babies with each other.

I didn't have much experience at the time and they all died from a tank crash. Tigers breed well just as long as they are fed regularily and water being kept clean.....I guess that goes for most other the shrimps from the region.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Thanks very much Shrimpboy LA ! :smt039