0.3gal tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

hydride
Egg
Egg

0.3gal tank

Post by hydride »

Hello,

Would a 0.3gal tank suffice for three shrimp? The tank would otherwise have every recommendation, including the macroalgae. I’m not interested in adding more, and would get a new tank if they bred, but time being would they be happy in such a small space?

Thanks!
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: 0.3gal tank

Post by sliphorn »

It'll work.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It may work, but things can go wrong very easily in such a small amount of water. I always recommend 1 gallon and above and set the minimum at half a gallon (which is hard enough to maintain for most people).
hydride
Egg
Egg

Post by hydride »

Oh no, just saw this. I test for salinity, ammonia, and a variety of other things. I currently keep it mostly covered with a small hole, and have something over the hole to avoid dust. I set the tank up according to website specifications with the substrate, carbonate rocks, salt, and macroalgae, and am about to order lava rocks. I used distilled water and have poured some into glass bottles to avoid plastic leakage for top offs, and intend to keep testing just in case since it’s such a small tank. There’s been a fair amount of work and I like my current tank design— how strongly would you recommend upping to a half gallon?
hydride
Egg
Egg

Post by hydride »

Also, if it is feasible to make such a small tank work, will they be uncomfortable? I felt that since they were relatively few they’d be okay with limited space, but wanted to double check.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

hydride wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:23 am Also, if it is feasible to make such a small tank work, will they be uncomfortable? I felt that since they were relatively few they’d be okay with limited space, but wanted to double check.
I have a quart jar with seven shrimp currently in residence and they are doing great. I believe forum member Vorteil has at least one quart jar that has alot of breeding going on. Naturally, a larger tank is less likely to crash, but if you keep a watchful eye on your tank it should be fine.