Help! Inexperienced shrimp owner

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MisfifLaundry
Egg
Egg

Help! Inexperienced shrimp owner

Post by MisfifLaundry »

Hi all!

New to this page but very excited to learn about taking care of these amazing creatures. My girlfriend got me an ecosphere for Valentine’s Day last year and I have loved it. Unfortunately all but one has passed away. I was checking out my sphere last night and I noticed these tiny little somethings crawling on the glass. I can only assume they are baby red shrimp. They are too small to make out the features but I don’t see how it could be anything else because it’s a closed system. There are quite a few in there and I don’t think the current living situation will be large enough/have enough resources to sustain them all. I’m looking to try and transfer them to new tank. I have been doing some research in here and want to set up a new tank. My question is how long do I have before resource scarcity starts taking its toll on my little guys. I am going to try and get them transferred ASAP but that still might be a week or so. Thank you for your help!
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Help! Inexperienced shrimp owner

Post by sliphorn »

MisfifLaundry wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:37 am Hi all!

New to this page but very excited to learn about taking care of these amazing creatures. My girlfriend got me an ecosphere for Valentine’s Day last year and I have loved it. Unfortunately all but one has passed away. I was checking out my sphere last night and I noticed these tiny little somethings crawling on the glass. I can only assume they are baby red shrimp. They are too small to make out the features but I don’t see how it could be anything else because it’s a closed system. There are quite a few in there and I don’t think the current living situation will be large enough/have enough resources to sustain them all. I’m looking to try and transfer them to new tank. I have been doing some research in here and want to set up a new tank. My question is how long do I have before resource scarcity starts taking its toll on my little guys. I am going to try and get them transferred ASAP but that still might be a week or so. Thank you for your help!
Photographs would help. Closed systems are not good and should be avoided. Crawling? If you never saw any of your shrimp carrying eggs on her underside then it is doubtful the crawlers are shrimp.
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Help! Inexperienced shrimp owner

Post by Ula Hula »

I don't know what the crawling critters are, but I wanted to say that one thing you can do right now is to very slowly and carefully turn the ecosphere upside down and pry out the stopper. This will allow the gas to exchange, which should help the surviving shrimp a lot. You can also put a tiny speck of food in there (not much at all -- maybe like a speck the size of a pinpoint -- because you don't want the excess food to spoil the water).

I'm assuming you've seen the instructions on this site for setting up a tank. Just follow those step-by-step. Put a spoonful of the ecosphere water into the new tank to help the algae start growing.

It's good you're springing that poor shrimp from that tiny torture chamber. Good luck. This discussion forum is a good source of info for you. There is a long thread going back years that is about an ecosphere rescue. Check it out: https://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/v ... =16&t=6153