100 Cherry Reds in 90 gal

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

scampi
Egg
Egg

100 Cherry Reds in 90 gal

Post by scampi »

i got my 100 cherry reds this morning and they are so pretty. my FIRST freshwater shrimp! they are so cool! i am surprised, with such a big tank, you wouldnt believe they are anywhere near 100! maybe 20 or so at a glance because they are soooo spread out. i think the current is alittle to high for them so i have turned down the return to half capacity at least until i feel they are more adapted to their new home.

i have question though, the tank is newly set up and i don't have as many plants in there as i'd like as of yet, nor algae growth. what should i feed these little suckers to make sure they don't starve? if flake, what brand of flake? should i crumble it?

also, what temperature do you personally find to be the best for your cherries?
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

100 cherry reds in a 90G tank isn't a lot (at least it doesn't seem like it), but i'd add in some cycled water to ease the transition. shrimp are extremely sensitive to ammonia. the plants will provide a natural source of food (micro algae mostly), but it probably wont' be sufficient to supply all 100. supplement with algae wafers, crab pellets, and fish food. anything that sinks to the bottom, they will eat. i don't think shrimp are particularly picky about water temp, but they do tend to reproduce quicker/sooner in warmer temps (due to higher metabolism in warm water). i keep my tank at about 77-78deg F.