Never ending saga of sad

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Never ending saga of sad

Post by Rosiepink89 »

So after accidently killing my first colony I rinsed everything in RO several times and let it soak for a day drained of all excess before refilling tank to cycle again the snails were still ok so I put them in them in and all was well for a while. I got shrimp about a month ago and they were fine until 13 days ago 1 snail died. All seemed well then 1 week after that (6days ago) another snail dies. Now I'm watching closer and the next day another dead snail and now a sick shrimp. I did a 80+% (5 days ago) the original sick shrimp died and everyone seemed ok. 2 days ago another dead snail and today 1 sick looking shrimp.
I really don't know what to do. I've done everything to a t as far as directions. I'm not sure if I should do another water change so soon or what.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Never ending saga of sad

Post by Rosiepink89 »

The one that died and the one that is dying are were both smaller juvenile likely the snaked in my tank. I don't have a hydrometer I just mix my water according to the site recommendations with distilled water.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

It almost seemed like possible molt issues this little guy is having is it possible he got shocked from the water change 5 days ago and is now struggling to molt? He looked off for the last 2 days I've been watching closing because I added the water back fast I think too fast for a water change despite trying to be slow with it.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

Is it possible there isn't enough calcium? I got everything except decor from petshrimp.com I got the calcium pebbles and originally it was enough for 1.5 gallon and was on the top of the subrate but after I rinsed everything it got mixed with regular substrate and not just on top could that cause issues? With it being mixed and not all on the surface if that made sense to anyone
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

I decided to do nothing since the water change was so recent I figured it could be sick from the original issues then water change. Poor lithe fur ended up dying but everyone else is doing great and I have them covered now so we should be set now.
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

Hopefully it's smooth sailing from now on. *fingers crossed*
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

So I'm pretty sure it was a body spray that was used in the master bathroom the smell was very strong near the shrimp and the next morning I moved a decor in the tank and a few streaks of something cloudy fell from the bio film. I now have a lid on it and think it's all stable and that should be it forever hopefully!