Cycle a tank with no light?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Cycle a tank with no light?

Post by SuperProofer »

Well, not exactly "no" light, but...

I'm going to be starting a new tank in my office. But I don't have any windows for indirect light, nor do I have enough plugs available to plug in a light (I think IT would yell at me if I put in another power strip).

Is it possible to cycle and keep a tank with only the overhead office lighting (I believe they are old school incandescent tubes bulbs)?

Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions on alternative solutions to get the proper lighting to them?

Thanks in advance.
brantman19
Egg
Egg

Re: Cycle a tank with no light?

Post by brantman19 »

It's not necessarily that a light is needed for cycling but its more needed for growing beneficial algae/plants and creating a day/night cycle in the long term.
You don't need much. I found a little 2 headed grow light that has an internal timer on Amazon for like $25-$40. I started it up at 8AM on a 12-hour timer and it goes on and off by itself everyday. You need something similar for those days you aren't working to keep that algae and plants growing.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

Lighting is necessary IMO. What about a USB powdered light? Keep in mind if you used distilled or RO water it will take time if all you're doing is waiting on it. It's pure brackish water void of anything. The light will help algae to grow in there.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

OK, I'll see what I can find that will work at my desk. Yes, using distilled water. I had one in an office before, but it was an already established tank before I brought it in, so it had a head start.

Thanks!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Any kind of "led" light would work, right?
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

SuperProofer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:46 am Any kind of "led" light would work, right?
Yes.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Cool. Thanks. Plus, I'll probably put in some water from my existing tanks to help it along.