activated carbon?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

john b.
Egg
Egg

activated carbon?

Post by john b. »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and want to let you know I think this is a great site. it has helped me out a great deal. I have a question about my 5 gallon, low light java moss and cherry red shrimp tank. Since it's such low light, I don't really plan on using ferts all that much, if at all, but what about using activated carbon in the filter? Bad idea or not. I was thinking it might be good for the shrimp. Any ideas? Thanks,
John
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

imo, activated carbon isn't needed, but adding it won't be detrimental to the shrimp. i run only an air-driven sponge filter and have had no hiccups. it's up to u.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Years ago I kept a goldfish-only tank. Goldfish are quite dirty when comparing with tetra or shrimp. Sometimes the water was cloudy. But it became crystal clear overnight after I had added a bag of activated carbon in the filter. That's my observation. But I don't know anything about its scientific composition.