Mold vs algae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Mold vs algae?

Post by SuperProofer »

My new jar tank has a bamboo lid (not sure if it's actual bamboo or fake, but it's wood nonetheless). It's been cycling for about a week and I noticed today there were a couple of small greenish circles on the underside of the lid. I assume this is mold from condensation rather than algae. I'm guessing that's not a good thing if it gets in the water?

I'm going to keep an eye on it and make sure it wasn't a fluke and just had some dirt on it, but if it keeps occurring I'll just have to find another type of lid. In the meantime, I'll keep wiping it if necessary.

Just thought I'd ask the group here how dangerous mold is if it somehow touches the water. Here's a pic in case anyone has something similar and can suggest how to keep the lid clean.

*PS, I just put the tape on the lid as a "deterrent" to keep office mates and cleaning crew from messing with it (just in case). It's not sealed airtight or anything.
Attachments
16542122743595509315966315455011.jpg
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Mold vs algae?

Post by SuperProofer »

After a few days, the mold came back. It was still faint in color but if I looked at the lid from a side view I could see the protruding fuzziness that is mold. So, I wiped it off again and then wrapped the bottom of the lid in plastic wrap, tucking the edges up under the rubber gasket to hold it in place.

So far, it seems to be working. I haven't seen any more fuzzies. Hopefully that's the end if it. :)
Attachments
IMG_20220609_154035.jpg
Plastic wrapped lid
Plastic wrapped lid
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

My eyes are probably pretty bad because I can't make out the mold at all. Either way, mold is food for shrimp. :) I don't think a little bit of mold will affect water parameters much.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Lol, no the pictures of the lid were just to show how I put the plastic wrap around the bottom. Mold was already wiped off.

Good to know it won't hurt them though. Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Oh I see! :D No problem at all!