Brackish Moss Ball Plant

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SunnyShrimp
Egg
Egg

Brackish Moss Ball Plant

Post by SunnyShrimp »

I ordered the mysterious brackish moss ball plant from petshrimp.com and I absolutely love it. I have kept freshwater marimo for years and immediately I could tell this plant was something different entirely when I released it in my tank. I want to chronicle the brackish moss ball’s growth along with my shrimp and hope to eventually have a bit of a carpet of the little orbs in the Opae Ula tank like Mustafa has in his video.
My question is…. what do I need to do in order to maintain its healthy growth and keep the vibrant dark green color?
91FE0C5B-AEDD-42DA-9190-9C8D23F369AD.jpeg
5FFA3866-364A-493D-9A2B-8DB2F61344E8.jpeg
brantman19
Egg
Egg

Re: Brackish Moss Ball Plant

Post by brantman19 »

As I understand it, its like most Marimo balls. Toss it in and let it soak up the sun. If you really want to see even growth and no brown spots, make sure it gets light on all sides and roll it over sometimes if the bottom is still dark. I just got mine too so I'm experimenting.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Glad you like it! There is nothing special you need to do. Just maintain the tank for the shrimp as described on this website and the mossballs will do great. Even their light requirements are very low. No need to turn them over even. These balls tend to "magically" move around if you have enough shrimp and snails in your tank.

And, yes, it's completely different from marimo balls.
SunnyShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by SunnyShrimp »

It is now around 5 months later and the moss boss is still healthy. It has grown a little and appears less round in shape. I am hoping this is a sign it is ready to multiply into more. :mrgreen:
05E6270E-5140-47D4-B9D7-49D0406171D3.jpeg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I may have already multiplied. What happens is that tiny, almost microscopic pieces of it fall off and spread all over the tank/container. Then, at some point, you magically notice a ton of tiny balls appearing because those microscopic pieces finally reached a size that is visible to the human eye. Thanks for the update! This is an absolutely amazing plant for sure!