Problems with buying ghost shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

BenjaminS
Egg
Egg

Problems with buying ghost shrimp

Post by BenjaminS »

Hi!
I'm new here and I wanted to share with everyone what happened to me when I recently bought some ghost shrimp.
I had recently been wanting to get some ghost shrimp and when My LFS had them for sale again I decided to get some . After preparing one of my tanks (30 gallon which had been set up for a year, heavy algae growth good water conditions, 0 ammonia, o nitrites, 15 ppm nitrates no tankmates except for snails) for them i went back and saw they had very few left so I bought all the ones they had left. The only one on fish duty at the time had no clue what she was doing and when she looked into the tank to get the ghosts she couldn't see them! She said they had all been sold and I said i see about 15 in there. So she called someone over from another department and all three of us were trying to catch these ghost shrimp. After about 10 minutes she had rounded them all up (18 of them!) but it just goes to show you that there is a reason why they are called ghost shrimp!
On a side note, she had said why would anyone want to keep something you can barely see. *sigh* some people just don't realize how cool shrimp are, I watch them more than my other pets! :D
B
Dolfan
Egg
Egg

Post by Dolfan »

My problems with buying ghost shrimp is finding them. At the local walmart they carry them every now and again. The only other place I can find them is at a pet store about 1 hour from my house. And yes they are really cool to watch. They are always cleaning up the tank floor, always nibbling on something. You can see them pretty good once they are well fed. You can see the food inside them.