Switching tanks

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Neoma
Egg
Egg

Switching tanks

Post by Neoma »

I just received my opae ula a few days ago. I love them!

I'm not happy with my setup, a one-gallon jar. I don't like the way the curved glass distorts the shrimp. Also, I can't get a good angle with the lights.

So, long story short, I want to buy a one-gallon tank with a light and lid. I'm open to suggestions. At some point, it will need to accommodate a heater because our apartment gets too chilly between seasons.

The big question is: How do I move the shrimp and snails?

Do I need to cycle the new tank or is there a way to essentially "move" everything from the old one to the new one?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Switching tanks

Post by Mustafa »

The new tanks still needs to wait to be ready after setting it up, but you can accelerate things by moving the old substrate/decoration/plants etc. over to the new tank. You should be able to shorten the whole process down to maybe a week or so.
Neoma
Egg
Egg

Post by Neoma »

Mustafa wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:54 pm The new tanks still needs to wait to be ready after setting it up, but you can accelerate things by moving the old substrate/decoration/plants etc. over to the new tank. You should be able to shorten the whole process down to maybe a week or so.
Thank you, Mustafa! I moved the black lava and the microalgae over thinking that it might speed things up. But I certainly wasn't thinking it would speed them up that fast! It could cycle in one week? Wow!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Supershrimp tanks don't go through a traditional "cycle" with high loads of ammonia as the shrimp do not produce much ammonia at all. That's why it's possible. Plus, they are hardy, and so are the snails! :)