Thorax color

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Droyed
Larva
Larva

Thorax color

Post by Droyed »

While watching my shrimp today I noticed some have a dark mass in their thorax and others are very light colored, almost white. Any idea about the color differences?
dglidden
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Thorax color

Post by dglidden »

It's probably the difference between females carrying spawn and males not. Whenever the ones with the darker "saddle" decide to molt next, they should descend and they'll carry eggs. It doesn't always seem to happen, but with mine, it's definitely related to egg production.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Thanks!
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

I've noticed that too. Even on juvenile shrimp and it doesn't change after a molt I just assumed it was just a shrimp equivalent of a birth mark lol
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I assume you're looking at the saddle like these? I do have quite a few like this but not all seem to develop into eggs. Not sure how long they stay this way but I assume it's a good sign.
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg
brantman19
Egg
Egg

Post by brantman19 »

Mine are all juvenile right now but I have some with that deep dark red color and some that are much pinker or even white. No clue what thats about. Everyone seems happy and healthy so I assume it's OK. Would love for Mustafa to chime in though.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

That's just the various color the Opae Ula come in.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If the color is dark like in the picture above, then it's just eggs developing. If it's kinda white or yellowish, then that's the internal organs showing through their shell. Either way, it's nothing to worry about. :)