Too chilly for opae ula?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Neoma
Egg
Egg

Too chilly for opae ula?

Post by Neoma »

My opae ula jar is cycling, so I don't have any shrimp, yet. But I'm already worrying about their long-term well-being.

Today it's 40-something degrees and we don't have any heat because it's so late in the season. (I'm wearing my heavy hoodie with the hood up.)
I think the change of seasons, when our heat isn't on, yet, or has cut off for the year, may be an issue for them.

Will I need to move them to a little aquarium with a heater?
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Too chilly for opae ula?

Post by sliphorn »

Neoma wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:43 pm My opae ula jar is cycling, so I don't have any shrimp, yet. But I'm already worrying about their long-term well-being.

Today it's 40-something degrees and we don't have any heat because it's so late in the season. (I'm wearing my heavy hoodie with the hood up.)
I think the change of seasons, when our heat isn't on, yet, or has cut off for the year, may be an issue for them.

Forty degrees farenheit? In the house? That is very cool. Too cool.
Neoma
Egg
Egg

Post by Neoma »

sliphorn wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:29 pm
Neoma wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:43 pm My opae ula jar is cycling, so I don't have any shrimp, yet. But I'm already worrying about their long-term well-being.

Thank you, sliphorn. Yep, NYC apartment.

It looks like I'll need to get them an aquarium with a heater before next fall.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Neoma wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:04 pm
sliphorn wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:29 pm

Thank you, sliphorn. Yep, NYC apartment.

It looks like I'll need to get them an aquarium with a heater before next fall.
NYC apartments are typically postage stamp sized. Maybe you could buy a space heater so both you and the Opae Ula can be comfortable during cold spells when the building heat is off. I lived in Manhattan during the 90's. The upper west side and then Hell's kitchen. Great times!
Neoma
Egg
Egg

Post by Neoma »

Fortunately, our apt. is bigger than a postage stamp. We're very lucky!

You probably wouldn't recognize Hell's Kitchen anymore. It's changed dramatically. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

A heater for a small jar is tricky at best. At worst, you may cook your shrimp. If you could somehow get the apartment into the 50s, that would already be enough for these shrimp long term. They will survive 40s and chug along, but not sure for how long.