Our Petshrimp Project

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

happy
Egg
Egg

Re: Our Petshrimp Project

Post by happy »

Hi everyone! I now have another problem. The snails are reproducing like crazy in my tank. Every time I turn around, I see another baby snail. How many snails should be in the 1.5 gallon tank? Also, my berried shrimp had many babies but only 4 survived. That is odd. I have another berried shrimp now too.
I think I have have started out with 8 shrimps and 2 snails in 1.5 gallon tank last year. Do I need to remove the snails and put them into another tank?
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

My lid started to rust. Possibly from the salt water. Any suggestions for a lid replacement?
Attachments
35D3B03F-7D71-499F-8946-B34219C590C0.jpeg
83E5CEB5-E12D-4A4A-BC76-CF20B857DEF1.jpeg
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

happy wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:40 am My lid started to rust. Possibly from the salt water. Any suggestions for a lid replacement?
I use a clear plastic potted plant saucer. They come in a variety of sizes and are inexpensive. You can find them at any garden center or the big home improvement joints.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

A large cork would work for a lid. You can order various sizes online.
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

Thank you. I will try looking for a large cork or plastic plant saucer.
ieatfish
Egg
Egg

Post by ieatfish »

The nice thing about a clear lid is you can place a light above.
happy
Egg
Egg

Post by happy »

I have one of the moss ball/ algae ball from petshrimp. Can I cut it in half? It has gotten bigger.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

happy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:30 am I have one of the moss ball/ algae ball from petshrimp. Can I cut it in half? It has gotten bigger.
Yes.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

happy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:15 am Do I need to remove the snails and put them into another tank?
No need to remove the snails. If the snails are reproducing like crazy, you may be feeding too much. That would also explain why your macroalgae are growing like crazy. :) The snail populations adjusts itself according to the availability of food. Just stop feeding for a few months...or more.
Ula Hula
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ula Hula »

Great project for a kid! I've helped both my kids with tanks, although they're in their early 20s. :) I'd make one suggestion if you're looking to get babies: Pile up some lava rocks to create little dark nooks and crannies for them to hide in. They are less stressed when they can get out of the light occasionally (as they do in their native anchialine pools), and I've found having that option tends to encourage breeding. You could also put some seashells in there for them to hide in.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

happy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:15 am Hi everyone! I now have another problem. The snails are reproducing like crazy in my tank. Every time I turn around, I see another baby snail. Do I need to remove the snails and put them into another tank?
Since this questions has not been answered, I'll answer it. No need to remove the snails, just feed less and their numbers will self-regulate. How is your tank doing so far? Any updates?
SGcvn69
Egg
Egg

Post by SGcvn69 »

happy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:34 pm The glass wall of the tank is dirty or covered with algae and it makes the tank seem cloudy. But when I opened the lid and looked down, the water is very clear. Any idea how to clean the glass wall? The tank sits on my window counter with indirect sunlight.
A magnet?