Macroalgae Red-brown Growth

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ladyserpentes
Egg
Egg

Macroalgae Red-brown Growth

Post by ladyserpentes »

Hello!

To provide a little background on my set up. I have some history with these guys as well as a husbandry with a lot of other inverts, fish, and exotics - so it was kind of nice having something for my office I didn't need to worry about when I'm working from home part of the time.

I've had my opae ula shrimp and snails from petshrimp.com for about a month now. I got 25 shrimp and 10 snails as well as the source macroalgae, algae ball, and some black lava rocks. I have them set up in a cycled 5g bowl tank with some very carefully processed decorations (I do thorough rinses, overnight soaks in distilled water, and test soaked water for any concerning quality levels). They're on crushed aragonite that was well rinsed (until water runs clear) then rinsed again with distilled water. The water is reef salt + distilled with a salinity of about 1.011. They're on a cycled light but there's no natural light in the room.

So far things seem to be going really well. It's hard to count 25 shrimp in the set up due to the bowl magnification but I've seen a few molts and most of them seem happy, healthy, and red. (Also I honestly don't know if I would see a dead shrimp or if it would just disappear, more or less). I plan to hopefully add some more shrimp since 5g could likely handle a little more.

Now to my actual questions! Below I attached an image of what seems to be happening to my macroalgae. I think it may be growing some kind of red/brown algae on it. Those areas seem a little thinner (they're also the closest to the light) and like some of the filaments are browning. Overall the macroalgae is pretty dark green, which I'd expect to be good. Is this brown algae something to be concerned about harming the macroalgae or the tank in general? The shrimp don't seem to be trying to eat it.

My second question is what technique do you use to top off your tanks without causing stress to the shrimp? I top off usually every two weeks with distilled water to account for any evaporation but every time I do all the shrimp go pale and start frantically swimming as they seem rather stressed out by the whole ordeal. I add it very slowly with bowl I partially submerge with the water. I want to reduce causing them any stress if I can!

Additional pictures of my bowl, for reference. :)

brantman19
Egg
Egg

Re: Macroalgae Red-brown Growth

Post by brantman19 »

I can't answer your algae question but instead of worrying with topping off your tank with water due to evaporation, I would get a top for the bowl. If you can't find something that perfectly fits that bowl, you can go to a garden/hardware store and find plastic water collection plates used for potted plants for really cheap. Just get something that will cover over the rim a little. This will help control your evaporation better. If you can find something without holes, that would be best because this won't be air tight and you'll get air transfer through the tiny gap. I've had a 1.5g going with a top for 2 months since it's last top off and I can't get it to evaporate fast enough after an overfill.
As for how to handle filling, I generally wouldn't worry about the shrimp going pale so much if they come back from it. These guys are extremely hardy after all. However, it could just be how much you add at one time. I'd look towards a slower fill if you want to try to avoid it and add the water over the course of the day as evenly as I could. If you can do the drip method, that would work well the best.
ladyserpentes
Egg
Egg

Post by ladyserpentes »

Makes sense! I was thinking of maybe getting some kind of lid for it. I'll see what I can find maybe even a good piece of acrylic would work. I didn't think about the drip method for topping off - that's would be a good solution too.

Thanks!
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

I agree a lid would be a good idea. I'm trying to figure out a lid for mine to do less to ups too. I'm not sure what's going on with your macroalage sorry. Gorgeous setup btw!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The brown growth on your macroalgae appears to be some sort of cyanobacterium. The shrimp usually don't eat much of that stuff, but the snails should take care of it over time. Just don't feed anything until that growth is gone. Is it still there, it's been over two months after your initial post.
dglidden
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by dglidden »

Possibly find a good-sized piece of cork at a local hobby shop and trim it to size to fit the top of your jar? It'd probably be more aesthetic than a sheet of acrylic.

FWIW after just setting the lid on my jar - not screwing it down at all - has reduced the number of times I've had to top it off from every couple of weeks to once in the last three months.