Cloud layers 2.0

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Corucia
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Cloud layers 2.0

Post by Corucia »

Given the recent posts regarding “cloud”layers popping out of nowhere, I oddly just experienced the same issue with two of my five environments. Both have been up and running for 8-10 years and I’ve never seen this before and there has been no change to their care, etc. Just a small top up last month using distilled water but nothing out of the ordinary (and the three other tanks I have that were similarly topped have no similar issues).

Must be something in the water, so to speak 😉
Attachments
Tank 1, 3 gallons and around 8 years old.
Tank 1, 3 gallons and around 8 years old.
Tank 2, also 3 gallons and around 10 years old.
Tank 2, also 3 gallons and around 10 years old.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Re: Cloud layers 2.0

Post by Droyed »

At this point I’m convinced it’s a bacterial growth. My tank is near a window and we completely closed the blinds while gone on a three day weekend. Cloudiness cleared dramatically by the time we returned. Since then I’ve had the blinds opened just a crack and when I topped off the tank last night I had a wispy cloud layer again. Looks exactly like your photos.
Corucia
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Cloud layers 2.0

Post by Corucia »

Totally agree. And interestingly, not only are the shrimp seemingly fine but in fact they seem to almost be drawn to the cloud bank. In both tanks where it’s occurred, I’ve witnessed several of them swimming in and out of the cloud barrier in an undulating S pattern. Very interesting behavior! It doesn’t look like I can post a video here but the still capture attached shows three or them work this.
4402ADB2-072C-412B-A5ED-B323B9BA65BA.jpeg