Clutched for 2 months?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Clutched for 2 months?

Post by dherrington1 »

So I have 2 pregnant Opae that have been in the clutch phase for 2 months. They were noticeable on 14 April, and yet I have only 8 that are in the larval stage. Both of the moms are still swimming around with giant clutches in their chamber. Is this normal activity for first time moms?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Clutched for 2 months?

Post by Mustafa »

What was your water temperature at that point? 2 months seems a bit too long. 30-35 days at around 80 degrees is normal. Maybe if your water was in the 60s it would take 40-50 days, but 2 months? If you water wasn't too cold, maybe you are witnessing your shrimp getting berried a second time. The larvae can be pretty hard to locate sometimes, if they are still alive.
dherrington1
Larva
Larva

Post by dherrington1 »

As it turns out, my shrimp mamas were gaslighting me. Turned out that I had 4 preggers swimming around, but they were playing tag team and only showing 2 at a time. I've now got ~50 floaters that appeared over night so they're dropping berries by the bushel now. Still have at least 1 with a full clutch waiting to birth.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

dherrington1 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:29 pm As it turns out, my shrimp mamas were gaslighting me. Turned out that I had 4 preggers swimming around, but they were playing tag team and only showing 2 at a time. I've now got ~50 floaters that appeared over night so they're dropping berries by the bushel now. Still have at least 1 with a full clutch waiting to birth.
Nice!