Shrimp Disaster

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wheezo
Larva
Larva

Shrimp Disaster

Post by wheezo »

I ordered 200+ Shrimps from someone.
He ships them in 6 small bags. ~6" Width.
in a cardboard box.

I receive ~80 alive. 4 bags were brown and smelled horrible.

Is there a better method to ship shrimps?
One that ensures more survival.

I was thinking using at least a styrofoam box.
and maybe more bags (but he said that would cost more)

Anyone have a better shipping method???
I am going to get replacement shrimps for half the price.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

What do you expect if you already know that 200 shrimp are going to be squeezed into 6 tiny bags.

And here's me sending 3-5 shrimp per bag. If I sent you 200 shrimp, all of them would make it alive, but it would also cost you $664.95 including shipping assuming it's Red Cherry Shrimp at $3.25 each. The shrimp would come in 40 to 66 bags depending on the size of the shrimp. :-D That's a lot of work packing...but I'm happier knowing that all of my shrimp will be alive when they get to their destination instead of taking for granted that some will always die. 6 bags for 200 shrimp is ridiculous and just plain dumb!

I guess you get what you pay for. Just because buyers are too cheap to pay more and sellers are too lazy and too cheap to spend more time packing the shrimp properly, these shrimp die senseless deaths. But who cares, right? They're dirt cheap! Wrong! The attitude is that there are always more out there to catch in the wild, right? Well, it does not work like that...once those wild animals are depleted the species dies out and that's it....no more shrimp. That's why it is so important to breed these guys in captivity after getting wild stock. I could sell thousands of wild shrimp a week, but I refuse out of principle! I'd rather build up my captive breeding stock and sleep with a better conscience and the knowledge that my animals are in top shape.

In any case...I have written several times about how I pack shrimp in this forum so I won't repeat it here. Just do a search and you'll find my posts.

Over and out.
Last edited by Mustafa on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

:smt038

Well said Mustafa

TKD
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

it's not that i didn't want to pay more, i just ordered what i ordered and i didn't know how he was going to ship them, but he charged me $50 shipping. so i assumed they are pretty well packed... maybe 20 per bag or something.

mufasa, is it more of the problem that they were packed in 6 bags, or is it the temperature changes while not having them in a styrofoam box?
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

oops.. Mustafa... not mufasa lol... sorry was thinking lion king.
shrimpboyLA
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimpboyLA »

These shrimps must be pretty stressed when they were shipped. I have just sent out 100 Cherry Red Shrimps out to my friend in NY in one big bag ( my wholesaler packed them for me )and they arrived all alive and well.

When I go to my wholesaler I always see the shrimps from asia in big bags of 250 or more per bag. Granted these are big square bottom bags and also they were packed 1/3 water and 2/3 Oxygen.

There are many factors that might have caused the death of your shrimps. The condition of the shrimps when bagged, the duration of the trip, the temp the container encountered during the trip.

International shipping quidelines adopted by most all airlines dictates a styro foam box insoide a cardboard box. Also they dictate the 1/3 water 2/3 Oxygen ratio inside the bag. Double bagged at least

Hope this helped
scampi
Egg
Egg

Post by scampi »

i saw that "deal" on aquabid from the guy in Singapore for 100 shrimp but the description didn't even say anything about how the shrimp would get to me from all the way in Singapore to NY via "mail" safely, so i didn't dare bid on those! :shock:

since mustafa is out of stuck, luckily i found my new friend on the tankscape.com forums who gladly shipped them all the way across the states via fedex overnight the way they're supposed to be and not even a single one died, i counted 103 to be exact! the shipping costed me only $35 :D on a spacious double size box and a HUGE bag full of water and oxygen and it was definitely worth it. as soon as i can fix some water problems, i'm going to be getting hundredS more --- but never from the Singapore aquabid mail thing, that is just toooo shady!

i think one day mustafa and others will be producing shrimp here in the states in CAPTIVITY and that will be great for all of us fish lovers then we won't fall for the overseas cram shipping deaths and less money :x will be lost. these shrimps are costly but they are definitely worth it, let's keep it that way.

:D
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

i had considered bidding on aquabid myself, but for the same reasons, i dared not bid on them since they were coming from far away... not to mention that he never provides pictures, so u re not really sure what u're getting. i don't doubt that they're the specimens as advertised, but i still like pix for support.
dkk08
Egg
Egg

Post by dkk08 »

scampi wrote:i saw that "deal" on aquabid from the guy in Singapore for 100 shrimp but the description didn't even say anything about how the shrimp would get to me from all the way in Singapore to NY via "mail" safely, so i didn't dare bid on those! :shock:

since mustafa is out of stuck, luckily i found my new friend on the tankscape.com forums who gladly shipped them all the way across the states via fedex overnight the way they're supposed to be and not even a single one died, i counted 103 to be exact! the shipping costed me only $35 :D on a spacious double size box and a HUGE bag full of water and oxygen and it was definitely worth it. as soon as i can fix some water problems, i'm going to be getting hundredS more --- but never from the Singapore aquabid mail thing, that is just toooo shady!

i think one day mustafa and others will be producing shrimp here in the states in CAPTIVITY and that will be great for all of us fish lovers then we won't fall for the overseas cram shipping deaths and less money :x will be lost. these shrimps are costly but they are definitely worth it, let's keep it that way.

:D
Hi bros/sis, I'm from Singapore and I'm curious over the Singapore guy who posted on the Aquabid, can someone pls direct me to that link? 8)
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

go to aquabid.com and click "invertebrates" and you'll find what you're looking for.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Shrimp Disaster

Post by retardo »

wheezo wrote: Anyone have a better shipping method???
I am going to get replacement shrimps for half the price.
btw, i don't get y u're paying this guy even more money for something he should've done right in the first place.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

this was a deal, that me and a few others have chipped in to get. it was my idea and they paid me for shrimps. i can't just keep their money, i need to give them shrimps. and if i don't, i would have lost a lot of money. taking the chance to get more when he agrees to my shipping conditions will save me some money. that is, if most survive.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

wheezo wrote:this was a deal, that me and a few others have chipped in to get. it was my idea and they paid me for shrimps. i can't just keep their money, i need to give them shrimps. and if i don't, i would have lost a lot of money. taking the chance to get more when he agrees to my shipping conditions will save me some money. that is, if most survive.
i c... well, hopefully, the 2nd batch will do much better. you could always offer them back their money. i'm sure they would understand that things didn't go as planned.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

yea, i thought about it... but then it would end up as me purchasing the whole lot. i can't really afford that. just a college student who couldn't find any shrimps around here to breed.

ps. i blame this guy on aquabid, kept making excuses and didn't ship me my shrimps when i finally won one for cheap. =P altho he did refund my money, and yea...
S
Egg
Egg

Post by S »

Most of the 100-200 shrimp deals seem to be imports from somewhere overseas to US. While these deals offer great prices there are risks involved as you unfortunately found out. You should have told your "partners" in the deal about the risks involved and shared that burden with them up front. If they still wanted to participate then you would not feel as responsible for their loss.