OK to skim surface?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

OK to skim surface?

Post by SuperProofer »

Apparently, my office is very dusty! In my work tank (a jar just under 1 gallon), there's a fair bit of dust floating on the surface. When I came back from lunch today there was a bunch of fine white dust/debris all over my desk; like someone walked on the ceiling tiles or something although I'm not aware of any work being done. I don't know what it is. But it looks like some got in the tank. I would like to get a very fine net, or some cheesecloth to see if I can get most of it out, but I'm concerned I'll remove too much of the bio film. I still don't have any visible algae in this tank, but they still just pick away, so I assume they are eating the biofilm. I'm worried about removing too much of their main food source. Or is it not a big deal? (side note: these shrimp don't seem to be surface skimmers. They tend to stick to the floor and decor anyway.)
OpaeOasis
Egg
Egg

Re: OK to skim surface?

Post by OpaeOasis »

I would go for it, the only downside is stressing them out for a day or so, but they'll be fine. The surface film is not much of a food source for them, as the majority of biofilm is gathered from the glass and decorations. The surface film also recovers over time and never truly disappears, much to the displeasure of many aquarium owners.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

I've done it before it should be fine as long as whatever you're using isn't releasing anything into the water
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Thanks all! I'm still waiting for the net I ordered to come in. Once it's here I'll get on it. They seem fine so far though, so likely not in any imminent danger.