Gravel cleaner?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Droyed
Larva
Larva

Gravel cleaner?

Post by Droyed »

I would like to clean the gravel in my tank, but don’t want to drain the tank to do it. I’ve seen gravel vacuums, but they are suited for larger tanks, not a two gallon tank. Their attachments are large and flow rates are higher than I need. Any experienced insights among this group? Thank you for your ideas.
David
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Gravel cleaner?

Post by Vorteil »

Why clean it? I wouldn't. By doing that you're going to do more harm than good.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

I’ve posted about a cloudy water issue that, I’ve since found out, was caused by the distilled water I used to set up my tank. The distilled water had a very high mineral content that precipitated out of solution and deposited a thick layer on the bottom of my tank. While it doesn’t seem to affect the shrimp, they won’t even walk on it. So, I’m interested in removing those deposits.
helgi
Egg
Egg

Post by helgi »

I use turkey baster to clean dirt from opae ula tank, then filter sucked water and then drain it back to the tank.
I have to clean because kind of brownish algae grows on glass and falls as a nasty flakes on gravel. And unfortunately horned nerites don't eat this algae.
Droyed
Larva
Larva

Post by Droyed »

Thank you for a great idea!
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I don't think you see the overall big picture and how a balanced ecosystem works. Look at it this way:

The opae feed on the algae and biofilm in the tank thus creating waste which in turn
Feeds the algae and creates more biofilm which
The opae feed upon and start the whole cycle all over again

If you're feeding all the time then disregard. But if not you're removing a food source for the algae which will eventually create a sterile environment with no food source for anything. It's natural to have all the poop & detritus in the gravel. It may look unsightly but completely natural in a balanced system.

Think of the enclosed Ecospheres that used to be sold. Looks like to some degree they were sterile. Over time there's very little in there for the opae to feed upon and the opae slowly die of starvation