Ready for shrimp?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MsNymbus
Larva
Larva

Ready for shrimp?

Post by MsNymbus »

Hello! I set up my tank about a month ago, following the steps here and buying materials from here as well. I just added snails from here last week! They seem like they are doing great! And actually surprisingly out more in the day than night which is a pleasant surprise 🙂 (and hopefully still normal?)
Anyways, I would love to add my shrimp now/soon but I don’t see much, if any visible algae growth, though there is a film on the top of the water. I am attaching pictures of my super simple set up & would love opinions on if it is ready for shrimp Re: algae? (Plz enjoy the temp Candyland background on the wall behind it haha)

Also - unrelated question - if snails or shrimp die (I hope they don’t! But I know the snails at least won’t live forever haha) - would I remove them or will the ecosystem of the tank take care of it?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions! I’m excited to for this tank! 🙂
Attachments
E564C0FF-E350-4E9D-876A-0BBDCDCA8234.jpeg
5137361F-E0B6-462E-BE96-E156CF1E46E4.jpeg
8DA69286-C244-48AD-8515-022C9F1B3073.jpeg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Ready for shrimp?

Post by Mustafa »

I think your tank is ready. Due to the macroalgae competing with the biofilm, you may not see much visible algae, but I think you're good to go. And, yes, snails can move around during the day, too. It's absolutely normal. And if anything dies in there...just leave it in there...unless you have a mass death event where most of your animals are dead and there's nothing in there to eat them.
MsNymbus
Larva
Larva

Post by MsNymbus »

Great - thank you so much for the info! I am going away this weekend so will order them when I return. I’m excited! 🤩🦐 Thanks again!
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Mustafa wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:55 pm I think your tank is ready. Due to the macroalgae competing with the biofilm, you may not see much visible algae, but I think you're good to go. And, yes, snails can move around during the day, too. It's absolutely normal. And if anything dies in there...just leave it in there...unless you have a mass death event where most of your animals are dead and there's nothing in there to eat them.
Speaking of leaving dead things in the water, here in southern MO where I live, 'tis the season for Japanese beetles to congregate everywhere, and I mean everywhere. They manage to get into my house and eventually some get into my tanks where they drown. I leave them, and it is only a matter of days for the snails and shrimp to be all over them and consume them in short order. Free food!
MsNymbus
Larva
Larva

Post by MsNymbus »

Ooh good to know! Nom nom 😝