How many snails is too many snails?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

seaglass
Egg
Egg

How many snails is too many snails?

Post by seaglass »

New shrimp owner here... 7 weeks ago I set up a new 2.5 gallon nano tank for opae. A few days ago I finally added 23 happy little opae ula to the cycled tank. They're doing fine so far, though after an initial frenzy they're mostly hiding in the dry-rock coral.

Here's my question: I ended up with 18 MTS snails! I didn't have an extra tank for them, so I plunked them all in the 2.5 gallon. They're currently doing the things that snails do, i.e. burrowing, sticking to the glass, and serving as a curiosity for the shrimp.

Is 18 MTS too much for a 2.5 gallon tank? I understand they have their own bioload, and that they reproduce like rabbits if you don't keep the feeding down. Would any of you experienced folks recommend taking out some of the snails? I haven't fed the tank yet, since there is a good film of algae on the dry-rock coral.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: How many snails is too many snails?

Post by sliphorn »

seaglass wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:55 pm New shrimp owner here... 7 weeks ago I set up a new 2.5 gallon nano tank for opae. A few days ago I finally added 23 happy little opae ula to the cycled tank. They're doing fine so far, though after an initial frenzy they're mostly hiding in the dry-rock coral.

Here's my question: I ended up with 18 MTS snails! I didn't have an extra tank for them, so I plunked them all in the 2.5 gallon. They're currently doing the things that snails do, i.e. burrowing, sticking to the glass, and serving as a curiosity for the shrimp.

Is 18 MTS too much for a 2.5 gallon tank? I understand they have their own bioload, and that they reproduce like rabbits if you don't keep the feeding down. Would any of you experienced folks recommend taking out some of the snails? I haven't fed the tank yet, since there is a good film of algae on the dry-rock coral.
Leave them. They will self regulate, and 18 is not too many for a 2.5 gal tank. Also, snails are a must have for an opae ula habitat. They do a great job of deep cleaning the substrate. All of my tanks (13) have snails. Alot of snails.
seaglass
Egg
Egg

Post by seaglass »

sliphorn wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:19 am ..
Leave them. They will self regulate, and 18 is not too many for a 2.5 gal tank. Also, snails are a must have for an opae ula habitat. They do a great job of deep cleaning the substrate. All of my tanks (13) have snails. Alot of snails.
Thanks so much! It helps to know that the setup is okay. :D (New parent anxiety.)

And 13 tanks, WOW. Are they all opae, or are some freshwater?
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

seaglass wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:25 am
sliphorn wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:19 am ..
Thanks so much! It helps to know that the setup is okay. :D (New parent anxiety.)

And 13 tanks, WOW. Are they all opae, or are some freshwater?
All opae ula.